Classics roll out this Labor Day weekend
Cruisin’ Bruce Palmer will spin oldies tunes from the show grounds, and there will be food and fun for everyone who comes.
Admission for spectators is free and a donation of $10 is asked of those who want to exhibit a classic car. Proceeds from the event will benefit local charities.
Winning autos will received trophies that have been donated by local businesses.
Call Art at 423-1897 for more information.
Oldest sailing race on bay this Sunday
Narragansett Bay’s oldest continuously run sailing race will take off, weather permitting, this Sunday, Sept. 4, from the pier at the Conanicut Yacht Club.
Race organizers for the Around the Island Race said that registrations to compete were due by 6 p.m. yesterday.
The first warning will go off at 9:55 a.m., and the race course will be determined by wind and weather conditions.
The best places to view the race are from shoreline locations around the island, including Ft. Getty, Beavertail and Ft. Wetherill.
Following the racing, all participants are invited to a barbecue at 5 p.m. at the yacht club.
Call 423-1424 for more information.
Storytime signup at the J’town library
Registration for the next series of Storytime programs begins on Tuesday, Sept. 6, at the Jamestown library, 26 North Main Road.
Storytimes will begin the week of Sept. 12 and run through the week of Oct. 24.
• “Mother Goose Time,” for children from birth to 12 months, is a half hour program featuring stories, rhymes, and songs for the youngest listeners and a parent or caregiver. It will be held on Mondays at 10:15 a.m. in September and on Fridays at 10:15 a.m. in October.
• “Mother Goose Time,” for children ages 12-24 months, is a half hour program featuring stories, rhymes, and songs for young listeners and a parent or caregiver. It will be held on Mondays at 11:15 a.m. in September and on Fridays at 11:15 a.m. in October.
• For 2-year-olds with their caregivers, “Storytime” is a 45minute program featuring stories, songs, and activities. It will be held Wednesdays at 10:15 a.m.
• Held on Wednesdays at 11:15 a.m., “Storytime” for 3-year-olds with their caregivers, is a 45minute program featuring stories, songs and activities.
• “Storytime for 4s & 5s” is for children ages 4 and 5. A 45minute program featuring stories and a co-ordinating activity, it will be held Mondays in September at 3 p.m. and Fridays in October at 3 p.m.
Jamestown residents are given first preference in the event of overbooking. For more information, call the library at 423-7280.