Redwood library get preservation grant
The Redwood Library and Athenæum, located in Newport, has been awarded a bricks and mortar challenge grant in the amount of $500,000 from the Kresge Foundation to preserve and protect the Redwood Library’s National Historic Landmark facility.
The funds will be used to help with the installation of climate control and fire suppression systems, improved wiring and lighting, and building preservation and renovation. The library will also construct a 4,500square-foot addition to provide more space for shelving and library use, and, finally, the purchase of additional property at 10 Redwood St.
Founded by colonial charter in 1747 by Newport resident Abraham Redwood, the library’s original building was designed by America’s first trained architect, Peter Harrison. In 1833, the library changed its name to the Company of the Redwood Library and Athenæum to reflect its efforts to feature a broader range of humanities materials and discourse.