This week in Island history
Compiled by Sue MadenWeek of November 3
The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 25, 50, 75, and 100 years ago from the Newport Daily News comes from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.
100 years ago From the Newport Daily News, November 1, 1905:
A Halloween party was given by the King’s Daughters in the Gardner House hall last evening. Numerous games were played after which refreshments were served. Dancing closed the entertainment.
From the Newport Daily News, November 2, 1905:
A schooner stopped at the Conanicut Yacht Club pier yesterday and took the furniture, rowboats and moorings belonging to Mr. George H. Eustis. The vessel was bound for Martha’s Vineyard.
From the Newport Daily News, November 4, 1905:
Mr. N.S. Littlefield is the recipient of a large box containing pumpkins, turnips, shellbacks and apples, sent by Mr. Harry Shatzer of Altoona, Pa. Several of the apples measured eleven inches in circumference. Mr. Shatzer, formerly with the Jamestown Transfer Company, is in the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company.
75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, October 30, 1930:
(At the town council meeting) G. Herbert Wright and Constantine Clay were appointed a committee to purchase a stove for the town hall.
From the Newport Daily News, November 3, 1930:
The Halloween social and dance given under the auspices of the Conanicut Grange Saturday evening . . . was one of the prettiest affairs given here this autumn. The hall was artistically decorated in the Halloween colors, with festooning of orange and black, large shocks of cornstalks being placed at intervals around the hall, with yellow pumpkins showing here and there, and bright autumn leaves adorned the lights which were shaded with orange and black, thus giving out a soft dim glow. Black cats sat on either side of the fireplace. . . . At 8 o’clock the dance was on, a large number of people from Newport arriving at that time. At 10:15 a 15-minute intermission was held when ice cream and soda were served. At 12 o’clock the good night waltz was played and a launch awaited those going to their homes in Newport.
From the Newport Daily News, November 6, 1930:
Republican leaders are reacting today to the first time since the 1930 campaign began, thankful that Rhode Island remained in the party column while the national political pendulum was swinging violently toward the Democrats in the greatest upheaval within a generation. Democrats were not only surprised but disappointed at the results. . . . Now that 37 of the 39 towns cities and towns in Rhode Island rolled up an overwhelming protest against the eighteenth amendment, Republican leaders are satisfied that the state prohibition enforcement act must be repealed. (Jamestown voted yes to the 18th amendment question by 193 votes and no by 554 votes.)
50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, October 31, 1955:
Jamestown’s community sponsored Halloween frolic will get underway tonight at the Recreation Center. A parade of Horribles, starting at East Ferry Memorial Square, headed by the Jamestown Drum and Bugle Corps, will march along Narragansett Avenue to the Four Corners and return to the center. Here Halloween games sponsored by the various town organizations will be played and prizes awarded. To be admitted to the hall each child must wear a costume or at least a mask. . . . Following the young children’s games, there will be dancing for the older group with Mr. and Mrs. Albert Warner calling for square dancing. Police Chief Harold E. Shippee and every available special police will patrol the street of the island to keep Halloween pranks to a minimum.
From the Newport Daily News, November 1, 1955:
Much of the credit for the quiet (Halloween) celebration was given to organizations which co-sponsored with the Recreation Commission the costume party at the Recreation Center which kept an estimated 500 children entertained. Approximately 100 children took part in the parade of Horribles.
25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, November 1, 1980:
The superintendent (of schools) pointed out the 1980-81 budget is a maintenance budget, essentially providing the programs and services of 1979-80 with no additional funds for improvements. A few improvements have been made with the help of several restricted grants and the town’s revenue sharing funds.
From the Newport Daily News, November 4, 1980:
The 10-member Solid Waste Study Committee Monday night recommended the town own and operate a waste transfer station. The committee was named by the Town Council a year and a half ago to study waste removal once the landfill site on North Road is filled.
The Jamestown Senior Citizens Association was newly organized Friday during a meeting at the meal site at St. Mark’s Church hall.
15 years ago From the Jamestown Press, November 1, 1990:
The owners of Rose Island have agreed to sell the land to the state Department of Environmental Management for $1.1 million after months of talks and negotiations.
An amateur theater company’s first performance is always challenging, and the upcoming performance of the Jamestown Community Theatre’s production of Peter Pan is no exception.
10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, November 2, 1995:
The weather was perfect Sunday for the annual Jack O’Lantern Jog to benefit the renovation of the Community Center. This year’s race attracted 326 registered runners and walkers.