2005-12-01 / News

Holiday decorating safety tips from the Red Cross

The Rhode Island Chapter of the American Red Cross is offering these holiday tips to keep everyone safe while decorating for this festive season:

• Purchase only UL approved holiday lights, and check all indoor and outdoor lights for frayed cords. Replace as needed. For anyone not using a string of lights “add-on” socket, fill it with a plastic child-proof tab.

• Space heaters should be at least 3 feet away from the nearest object (curtains, wrapped presents, furniture, and so on).

• Never use lights marked “outdoor” inside the home.

• Turn off all holiday lights prior to leaving your home or going to bed.

• Only use mini-lights. They are the safest bet because they produce the least amount of heat.

• Do not overload electrical circuits, such as a wall outlet or extension cord. Use a power strip instead.

• Keep your Christmas tree in a sturdy base, filled with water, and check the water level daily.

• Spray your Christmas tree with a flame retardant before putting it up indoors.

• Keep the tree away from all heat sources (fireplace, electric heater, stove, etc.), and never use candles on or near a Christmas tree.

• Safely dispose of your tree before it becomes dangerously dry, and never burn the tree in the fireplace or wood stove.

Return to top