This week in Island history
The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 25, 50, 75, and 100 years ago from the Newport Daily News comes from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.
100 years ago From the Newport Daily News, June 22, 1906:
The paymaster and clerk made their monthly visit to the fortifications in the vicinity Wednesday.
More strawberries have been grown on the island this year than ever before. In spite of the poor ripening weather, the berries are large and of a good quality and the crop heavy enough to supply the local market and a surplus, which is sent to Newport.
From the Newport Daily News, June 23, 1906:
The regular summer practice of collecting ferry tickets before boarding the boat went into effect yesterday.
A herd of cows for Mr. Seth Pierce has arrived from Providence, Mr. Pierce has cleared the swamp land which he purchased last fall on the south side of Narragansett avenue near the West ferry, and will convert it into pasture land.
A class of seven graduated from the grammar school with appropriate exercises.
The Welsbach Lighting Company has installed four boulevard lights on Narragansett avenue, for exhibition of the town committee, who have the matter of street lighting under consideration.
75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, June 21, 1931:
The dance given by the Jamestown Post, American Legion, at the town beach Saturday evening was well attended. Music was furnished by a local orchestra.
The teachers of the Thomas H. Clarke and Carr schools held a farewell beach party at Beavertail Saturday evening.
The Y.M.C.A. Seaside camp at Conanicut Park has opened for the season.
From the Newport Daily News, June 22, 1931:
An audience which nearly filled the Palace Theatre to capacity attended the graduation exercises of the Thomas H. Clarke school last evening. Promptly at 7:30 the curtain rose, and a charming setting was revealed. The graduating class, numbering 21, seated in a semicircle with four of the young men graduates at either end and the young girls in the center. The latter were attired in pretty white gowns each bearing an arm bouquet of bright red roses. Dark curtains on the rear and on the sides, with the class motto "Hodie Non Cras (Today Not Tomorrow), in lavender and silver letters, the class colors, displayed above the stage was very effective . . . . The diplomas were then presented. (The names of the graduates are listed.)
50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, June 16, 1956:
Jamestown has established a $41 tax rate for the coning year. This is believed to be the highest in Rhode Island and a $10 increase over this year's figure. . . . The rate was determined after a four hour meeting of the assessors.
A class of 28 graduates of the Jamestown Elementary School held their exercises at the school last night.
From the Newport Daily News, June 18, 1956:
Repairs to the damaged north ferry slip in Jamestown were completed over the weekend and the boats started using it at once, the Jamestown Ferry Authority announced today.
From the Newport Daily News, June 19, 1956:
The Jamestown Recreation Center was closed Saturday for lack of operating funds. . . . At the May 5 financial town meeting the proposed recreation budget of $8,925 was slashed to $2,975 for one third of the year.
From the Newport Daily News, June 20, 1956:
The Jamestown Town Council, at a special meeting last night, voted to request state permission to exceed the legal tax limit the coming year.
25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, June 19, 1981:
Life guards went on duty today at Mackerel Cove Town Beach. There will be two guards on duty weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and three on weekends until Labor day.
A new 18-cent postage stamp with the picture of Joseph Wharton, (1826-1909), a former Jamestown summer resident, went on sale today. The stamp commemorates the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Wharton School of Finance at the University of Pennsylvania.
From the Newport Daily News, June 22, 1981:
The Jamestown Shore Association will discuss the width of the proposed new Jamestown Bridge when it meets Wednesday night at 8. . . . The proposed bridge would be about 77 feet wide, nearly 30 feet wider than the Newport Bridge, which measures 48 feet wide.
Revenues for the Newport Bridge this year have been increased about $400,000, offsetting an increase in expenses of about $100,000. . . . It has taken in $4.3 million in an 11-month period through last month, as opposed to $3.9 million a year ago.
15 years ago From the Jamestown Press, June 20, 1991:
The Jamestown Village Association is asking its members to endorse a new cross-island highway plan that would keep Eldred Avenue as it currently is for use by local traffic only.
The summer exhibit of the Jamestown Historical Society, which opened this week at the Jamestown Museum, features the construction of the Jamestown bridges, both new and old.
10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, June 20, 1996:
Town officials are asking residents on the municipal water system to voluntarily conserve water. . . . (It was reported) that North Pond reservoir was now eight inches below peak capacity and that water use was up 12.7 percent over last year. Voluntary water conservation is the first step in the town's water conservation plan.
The Jamestown fireworks display is closer to reality as many community members and organizations have donated to the fund.