This week in Island history Compiled by Sue Maden Week of July 13
The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 25, 50, 75, and 100 years ago from the Newport Daily News comes from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.
100 years ago From the Newport Daily News, July 10, 1906:
The first of the weekly hops will be given by the management of the Bay View House Friday evening.
From the Newport Daily News, July 11, 1906:
There was a large shipment of fish to New York last evening by the New line. A large horse mackerel, weighing more than 300 pounds, caught in one of the traps, was in the shipment.
The regular weekly hop at the Thorndike will be held this evening.
From the Newport Daily News, July 12, 1906:
The Jamestown Brass Band gave the second in a series of outdoor concerts last evening.
From the Newport Daily News, July 13, 1906:
An unusually large number of bathers were on Knowles's beach this morning, several of the young men showing their skill at high diving by utilizing the upper deck of steamer Gypsy. The past few fine days have made the place take on a livelier look, and from present indications there will be a large number of arrivals in the next few days.
The Bay View will hold its first hop of the season this evening.
From the Newport Daily News, July 14, 1906:
The first of the weekly hops given by the management of the Gardner House will be held this evening.
75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, July 11, 1931:
Miss Nola Sparks entertained several of her little friends at her home in Conanicut Park Friday afternoon, the occasion being her eighth birthday. The afternoon was spent pleasantly and ice cream and cake were served by Mrs. Sparks, and the little hostess received several attractive gifts.
From the Newport Daily News, July 13, 1931:
The American Legion Auxiliary held a successful food sale at the Shatzer cottage Saturday.
From the Newport Daily News, July 15, 1931:
(At the School Committee meeting) the matter which has been under discussion for several weeks in relation to maintaining a junior high in Jamestown was settled, the vote standing 3-2 in favor of elimination. The ninth grade pupils will attend Rogers High School in the fall.
Robert Quarters, proprietor of "The Tavern" on West street, also of a restaurant at the ferry, has leased the farmhouse on the Beavertail farm, recently occupied by Robert Martin, where a large force of men are at work, making alterations, redecorating and painting. Mr. Quarters plans to have a modern clubhouse in operation by August 1.
50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, July 9, 1956:
Jamestown taxpayers, in a seven-hour special financial town meeting Saturday, voted 173-42 to grant a $1,200 pension to Chester J. Greene, who had served the town as police chief for 20 years, and by a vote of 123-92 voted an appropriation of $4,000 to finance the town's summer recreation program.
The meeting also authorized the Town Council to use the first annual $27,000 payment from the state for the ferry company assets to reduce the 1956 taxes in an effort to keep the tax at $31 per $1,000 valuation.
From the Newport Daily News, July 12, 1956:
The Jamestown Town Council met last night . . . and discussed informally the requests of the Commerce Oil Refinery Corp. and others for ordinance amendments that would permit construction of an oil refinery on the north end of Conanicut Island.
From the Newport Daily News, July 14, 1956:
Jamestown's fifth annual open house will be held under the auspices of the Jamestown Historical Society on July 28. Many of the old houses and buildings built in the 17th and 18th centuries will be open for inspection.
25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, July 13, 1981:
The fourth annual Fools' Rules Regatta, sponsored by the Jamestown Taxpayers Association, will be held Aug. 15 at 2 p.m. at the foot of Shoreby Hill on East Ferry Beach. Tidal conditions and the need for a larger race area on the waterfront forced a change in starting time.
From the Newport Daily News, July 14, 1981:
Authorization for the town of Jamestown to initiate a suit against federal and state government agencies and to stop any further work on the new Jamestown Bridge was granted unanimously by the Town Council Monday night.
From the Newport Daily News, July 17, 1981:
"Childhood Memories" is the theme of a special summer exhibit at the Jamestown Historical Society Museum.
15 years ago From the Jamestown Press, July 11, 1991:
For the second weekend in a row, Jamestowners have been able to travel across the island without getting caught in major traffic jams in the Route 138 corridor.
The Jamestown Town Council will host open houses at the new police station on Conanicus Avenue and the new water treatment plant on North Road on Sunday, July 14, from 2 to 4 p.m.
10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, July 11, 1996:
With North Pond reservoir down 13 inches below capacity, town officials have restricted outdoor water use to every other day.