This week in Island history
The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 25, 50, 75, and 100 years ago from the Newport Daily News comes from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.
100 years ago
The young men of the town are getting several ice boats in commission in anticipation of a freeze sufficient for the sport.
From the Newport Daily News, December 14, 1906
A special town meeting was held yesterday afternoon to take action on the appropriation of money for a new ferry boat for the Jamestown & Newport Ferry Company. Over 50 of the 171 qualified voters were present at the opening of the meeting, although no interest in the question was evident previous to the meeting. Manager Cottrell of the ferry company mentioned several propositions which had been considered by the directors, but offered no resolution. After about an hour and a half taken up by various speakers for and against involving the town deeper financially in the company, the meeting adjourned without further action than the passing of a resolution stating the willingness of the taxpayers to stand a yearly assessment of not over $5,000, if necessary, to maintain and support the ferry.
75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, December 12, 1931
A happy get-together party of members of the Jamestown Volunteer Fire Department and their wives and the members of the town council was held in the new engine house on Narragansett avenue Thursday evening when the officers of the department gave a turkey dinner to the assembled company. Following the dinner speeches were made by several members.
From the Newport Daily News, December 14, 1931
Walter Bollons has re-opened his blacksmith shop on West street.
From the Newport Daily News, December 16, 1931
A girls’ basket ball team will be formed shortly. Plans are being made for organizing a league of four teams.
50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, December 11, 1956
The possibility of converting the Thomas H. Clarke School into a building for the town offices was brought up by the Jamestown Town Council at its meeting last night. The Council voted to ask the Planning Board to study the matter. … The Clarke School was offered for sale at a pubic auction by the town on Saturday, but no bid was received. The Council had set $15,000 as a minimum bid. The old Carr School likewise was offered at a minimum bid of $10,000, but there were no takers.
A check for $252 was received (by the Council) from the Jamestown Bridge Commission as its contribution to the wages of the town watchman in the Beavertail area from Oct. 1 to Nov. 30. The commission noted that keeping the area available to fishermen greatly increased bridge revenue and in view of that the commission will advertise the fishing possibilities in the Beavertail area to a greater extent.
25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, December 10, 1981
The town dog pound will be closed until the spring, in accordance with the state veterinarian’s recommendation. The pound has no heat.
From the Newport Daily News, December 11, 1981
Conanicut Grange 21 is considering selling the grange hall, unless the membership drive is successful. . . . On Dec. 2, the majority of the membership voted to have the building appraised. If the grange decides to sell, the money realized will go the State Grange where it will be held in trust for seven years.
From the Newport Daily News, December 12, 1981
An exhibit of photos taken during the Indian burial ground excavation during the 1966-1967 dig are on display at the Jamestown Philomenian Library this month.
From the Newport Daily News, December 14, 1981
Hundreds of people attended Jamestown Appreciation Day Sunday to hear former Town Clerk Rosamond A. Tefft and Town Clerk Lucy Carr Jenkins, who will retire this month. A reception was held at Holy Ghost Hall. Another 100 people attended a dinner later in the day for the retirees at the Bay Voyage Inn.
15 years ago
From the Jamestown Press, December 12, 1991
Jamestown’s proposed $3.6 million general budget for 1992-93 is up 4.6 percent from last year. . . . The biggest increase is in the town’s debt service, which jumped from $365,850 to $454,722, up $88,872 from last year. The bulk of that increase, $79,932, comes from the new police station.
10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, December 12, 1996
The current manager of the town-owned golf course, Joseph Mistowski, will continue to operate the links, but he will be paying a lot more rent.
Town officials have agreed to look into the possibility of using the golf course irrigation ponds as a community skating rink.