2007-04-26 / Island History

This week in Island history

Compiled by Sue Maden Week of April 26

The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago from the Newport Daily News came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.

100 years ago From the Newport Daily News, April 23, 1907

Messrs. Harrison Littlefield and Ralph Wright left Sunday on their motorcycles for a week's trip to East Hampton, Mass., and vicinity.

From the Newport Daily News, April 25, 1907

The Lake submarine boat attracts much attention along the water front daily as she is being tried out just off the east shore. Yesterday, in the high wind, she gave a great exhibition … the heavy sea apparently not diminishing her speed although it drove the crew to the highest parts of her deck houses when the craft was running on the surface.

From the Newport Daily News, April 29, 1907

In the awarding of the ferry contract recently by the government to Captain Stillman Saunders of the Narragansett Bay Transportation Company, that portion of it which related to a ferry service across the east bay was eliminated, which means that the island will have only the usual single communication with Newport during the winter months. The west bay ferry service which was included in the contract, will keep that service open the year round instead of only four months, as hitherto. This will not only be a great convenience to those wishing to visit Narragansett from here and Newport, but it should also encourage the farmers on the mainland to carry their produce to the Newport markets.

75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, April 22, 1932

(At a special meeting of the town council, it was determined that) compensation for labor on roads, $4 per day for man and $4.50 per day for man and a single team.

Owing to the epidemic of measles and whooping cough, now quite prevalent on the island, the Sunday school of the Central Baptist Church will be closed until further notice.

From the Newport Daily News, April 26, 1932

A deadlock exists in the election of a chief of police for Jamestown. The newly elected town council which is controlled by the Democrats by a three-two margin, held another meeting Friday evening, and for the second time failed to reach a choice.

From the Newport Daily News, April 27, 1932

Work was started today on the firemen's lot, east of the engine house, where a small park will be made, and will be attractive with shrubs and flowers. This will be under the supervision of the Board of Trade and the firemen.

50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, April 23, 1957

The Jamestown Town Council last night adopted a pared-down budget of $355,444.79 and resolutions totaling $6,700 for submission to the taxpayers at the town financial meeting May 4. The Council trimmed $3,600 from the budget.

From the Newport Daily News, April 24, 1957

The Navy has informed the state of its opposition to the plan that oil tankers circle the north end of Gould Island after they discharge their cargoes at a pier proposed for the $45,000,000 oil refinery on Jamestown.

Jamestown and Middletown residents scored top honors in recent civil service examinations for various jobs with the Jamestown Ferry Authority … (The positions were for purser, paying $1.34 an hour; quartermaster, paying $1.28 an hour; marine fireman, paying $1.40 an hour; and deckhand, paying $1.21 an hour; and turnstile operator, paying 89 cents an hour.)

From the Newport Daily News, April 25, 1957

The Jamestown Town Council last night meeting as a budget committee, approved appropriations for the town's supplemental budget totaling $8,966.84. Its purpose is to meet department deficits contracted during 1956.

From the Newport Daily News, April 29, 1957

The Commerce Oil Refining Corp. made known today it is changing the location of its proposed main refinery building from the easterly side to the northwesterly side of Jamestown.

25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, April 27, 1982

A survey is being conducted by the Jamestown Recreation Commission to determine the recreational needs of the people on the island in various age categories.

From the Newport Daily News, April 28, 1982

(The town) is trying to sell the Winthrop Wilson property next to the Town Hall on West Street. The town bought the property from Saint Matthew's Church in March. The town will pay for the property in three annual installments of $11,200, $10,000 and $10,000. … It was thought that it would cost about $2,000 to move the house.) … The town plans to enlarge this building (the town hall) and consolidate all town functions in one place.

15 years ago From the Jamestown Press, April 23, 1992

A large turnout of volunteers is anticipated for the third annual island-wide Earth Day cleanup set for this Saturday. The event is sponsored by the Jamestown Conservation Commission and the Conanicut Island Land Trust.

The Town Council, sitting as the Board of Water and Sewer Commissioners, voted 4-0 Monday to raise the sewer rate by 50 cents for each 1,000 gallons.

The Senior Center Commission has decided not to build a senior center on a lot leased to the town by the Holy Ghost Society.

10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, April 24, 1997

The world-famous gang from the comic strip "Peanuts" will be on the Community Center stage this weekend in the Jamestown Community Theatre's production of "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown."

The annual Shoreline Cleanup last Saturday was postponed (until April 26) due to a nor'easter.

Return to top