2007-05-03 / Island History

This week in Island history

Week of May 3
Compiled by Sue Maden

The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago from the Newport Daily News came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.

100 years ago From the Newport Daily News, May 1, 1907

Steamer Narragansett commences today the run between Fort Greble, Jamestown, and Saunderstown on the government contract recently awarded the Narragansett Bay Transportation Company.

From the Newport daily News, May 2, 1907

The trial of the submarines over the mile course off the east shore is watched with interest not only by the townspeople, but by several strangers who are here for that purpose.

From the Newport Daily News, May 4, 1907

The heavy southeast rainstorm which is in progress today has put a stop to outside work and added delay to the work of the farmers who were already behind because of the lateness of spring weather.

The town clerk's office, in the rear of the postoffice, is being thoroughly renovated, under the direction of Town Clerk Caswell.

From the Newport Daily News, May 6, 1907

Two or more camps are to be built on the Peckham property at Beavertail, to be used the coming season by parties from Newport.

75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, May 2, 1932

The Parent Teachers' Association held a successful social and dance at the town hall Saturday evening with the Blue Moon orchestra furnishing music.

From the Newport Daily News, May 4, 1932

The beautiful cup and other prizes won by the Jamestown Post American Legion Drum and Bugle Corps are on display at Pitchers Brothers drug store at Ferry wharf.

From the Newport Daily News, May 5, 1932 Extensive repairs are being made on the Bayview hotel by contractor P. H. Blackwell.

From the Newport Daily News, May 6, 1932

Albert A. Boone (reported at the Board of Trade meeting) of their success in obtaining enough money from the town to pay for the services of a young man to distribute pamphlets and act as a guide to interested automobile vacationists wishing to view the island.

50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, May 1, 1957

Dutch Island in the west passage of Narragansett Bay, the site of now-abandoned Ft. Greble, is to become a wildlife refuge.

From the Newport Daily News, May 2, 1957

Jamestown Democrats scored a sweeping victory in the annual municipal election yesterday by winning all contested council seats and taking every other office but one.

(editorial) Jamestown is a capricious community when it comes to voting. The electorate is pretty much made up of consistently independent people in town affairs although there is a definite core of loyal party members in each political group.

From the Newport Daily News, May 4, 1957

Sixty-five boys became members of the Jamestown Boys Club and 121 others sought applications as the club opened Saturday.

From the Newport Daily News, May 6, 1957

Jamestown taxpayers adopted a budget of $317,195.29, lopping $18,249.50 from the figures proposed by the outgoing Republican Council at the annual financial town meeting Saturday. The session, which lasted two hours, was the shortest in the memory of the oldest inhabitants.

25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, May 6, 1982

The number of dogs registered this year during April dropped considerably compared to 1981, according to Town Clerk Lois Coons. Only 269 licenses and tags were issued in April. … During 1981 more than 700 licenses were purchased.

15 years ago From the Jamestown Press, April 30, 1992

About 100 Jamestowners braved the damp chilly weather last Saturday to help with the third annual Island Clean-Up. … Workers filled a 30-yard dumpster, two 10- yard dumpsters, one dump truck and one flatbed truck.

The state Historical Preservation Commission has determined that any adverse effects the new bridge-connector highway would have on the Island's historic windmill district can be "satisfactorily mitigated."

The Town Council adopted an ordinance Monday that gives a $30,000 tax break to volunteer firefighters, ambulance corps members and their surviving spouses.

10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, May 1, 1997

The weather was perfect Saturday for picking up the litter along the island's shoreline. … Island Rubbish provided dumpsters for the event and hauled away about 40 cubic yards of trash and some 10 cubic yards of recyclables.

The Town Council Monday entered a new lease with Dutch Harbor Boatyard. The boatyard at West Ferry has been leasing part of a bulkhead from the town for the past 10 years. Under the new rental agreement, Fred Lorensen, owner, of the marina will pay a base rent of $10,000, about $2,000 in additional rent for half the outhauls at the marina, and another $2,000 or so for docks and floats.

The Secret Garden on Southwest Avenue has new owners (Holly Howard, Heidi Lessard and Helenna Jackson)and they are hosting an open house this Saturday and Sunday.

Return to top