Meetinghouse opens for summer worship
The 1787 Old Quaker Meetinghouse on Weeden Lane, which is maintained by the Jamestown Historical Society, will re-open for religious services on Sunday, May 6, at 10:30 a.m. Conanicut Friends Meeting (Indulged) holds unprogrammed worship services through the summer and into early fall since the partial restoration of the building in 1976 and 1996. Weddings and memorial services in the Quaker manner have also been held in the unadorned one room structure.
The Religious Society of Friends, as Quakers are properly known, were central to the early history of Jamestown. The current building was a replacement for a larger meetinghouse at the same site, which was burned during the Revolutionary War. The efforts of local Quakers and those from the Philadelphia area found support from the Historical Society, the Champlin Foundation, the Preservation Cooperative of Providence and Providence Monthly Meeting to solidify the frame of the second oldest Quaker meetinghouse for its continued use at the Historic Hill area. Both the meetinghouse and the nearby windmill are in the National Registry of Historic Places.