2007-08-23 / Island History

This week in Island history

Week of August 23
Compiled by Sue Maden

The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago from the Newport Daily News came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.

100 years ago From the Newport Daily News, August 21, 1907

The Jamestown firemen, finding that extensive repairs were necessary to the fire station in the near future brought before the voters at the town meeting last April a proposition for an appropriation of $5,000 for a new station of suitable size. The proposal was defeated by a small majority. … The volunteer firemen, at their own expense, have now had plans for a new and handsome station prepared by Architect C. L. Bevins and propose to raise, by popular subscription and otherwise, funds sufficient for the erection.

From the Newport Daily News, August 23, 1907

The ferries are making many of their trips around the south end of Goat Island, to give their passengers a close view of the Swedish cruiser Fylgia.

75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, August 22, 1932

The Legion Carnival opened today and the affair will be in full swing. Tuesday promises to be one of the most interesting days, as in the afternoon the doll carriage parade, the boys' vehicle and the costume parade will take place, and competition is keen in each exhibit.

From the Newport Daily News, August 24, 1932

Jamestown won the second game in the Municipal League championship series, defeating the Red Sox 10-9, in a wild and exciting free-for-all, at the Basin Tuesday evening.

The American Legion Carnival at Narragansett square, resembled the great white way, with its many attractive booths, a large crowd being present.

From the Newport Daily News, August 25, 1932

(At the Town Council meeting it was voted that) J. Howard Ellis and Thomas F. Sheehan be appointed a committee to spend $300 to repair that section of the North Main Road, known as Hull's swamp, and that the same committee be appointed to have a jiffy dump repaired.

50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, August 20, 1957

The Jamestown School Committee last night voted to limit the amount of tuition for high school pupils attending school outside the limits of Newport County to the figure paid to Rogers High School which was raised this year to $312 per pupil.

From the Newport Daily News, August 22, 1957

Four major oil constructions firms have submitted bids for the building of the proposed Jamestown refinery at an estimated cost of $48,000,000.

From the Newport Daily news, August 24, 1957

(Charles L.) Hull reported (at the Jamestown Bridge Commission meeting) that the gross revenue for August compared with the same period last year was down 3.7 percent due to the drop in rates but the increase during tercentenary week amounted to $954. He also reported that painting of the bridge by Singelis Company of Worcester, Mass. is underway.

Return to top