A beacon returns to West Passage
A bit of history was made Saturday evening when the Dutch Island Lighthouse once again flashed a beacon across the waters of Narragansett Bay's West Passage.
Built in 1857, the lighthouse had been dark for nearly 30 years, made obsolete by advancing technology. The abandoned landmark had fallen to ruin and had become an eyesore.
A group of lighthouse-lovers from Jamestown and across the bay in Saunderstown decided to save the lighthouse. They formed the Dutch Island Lighthouse Society and raised money to restore the structure.
On Saturday the lighthouse was returned to its original purpose of serving as a beacon to mariners. A blinking red light was placed atop the square tower and will be lighted year-round from dusk to dawn.
A bit of island legend and lore has been preserved for future generations.
The Dutch Island Lighthouse Society is planning to continue its fund-raising so that the lighthouse and its new beacon can be maintained in the years ahead.
A job well done.