2008-01-04 / Island History

This week in Island history

Week of January 4
Compiled by Sue Maden

The news of 10 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.

100 years ago From the Newport Daily News, January 2, 1908

A carload of cows arrived today for Mr. Seth Pierce.

From the Newport Daily News, January 3, 1908

Barge Annex 3 has finished discharging a load of pea coal for the ferry company.

Preparations are being made to move the large cottage on Knowles court, recently purchased by Mary H. Horgan of Newport, to a new location south of the Porter cottage on Walcott avenue.

From the Newport Daily News, January 4, 1908

Town Clerk Caswell has made up the births, marriages and deaths for the town for the year 1907. The number of deaths shows a large increase over the previous years. Of the 30 deaths within the town 11 were nonresidents. The birth rate also shows an increase, there being 17 for the year. Of this number 5 were of foreign parentage. There were 6 marriages within the town during the past 12 months.

From the Newport Daily News, January 6, 1908

The northwest blow yesterday caused one of the lowest tides in years, and long stretches of shore which are usually covered with water were bare for an hour or more.

75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, January 2, 1933

The New Year's eve dance held at the Grange hall Saturday, under the auspices of Conanicut grange, was a social success, many of the young people of the town and a large number from Newport, attending. … The Racketeer orchestra furnished music for dancing.

At many homes in town, New Year's parties were held, thus ending the holiday season.

From the Newport Daily News, January 3, 1933

There were 25 births recorded and 10 marriage licenses issued during the year. (There was a list of the date and names of persons who died in 1932. There were 31 names on the list.)

J. Howard Bowen has purchased the filling station and garage on Conanicus avenue formerly owned by E. B. Brooks.

From the Newport Daily News, January 4, 1933

(At the school committee meeting) it was voted that the automatic increases for teachers' salaries be suspended for one year and it was also voted that the appropriation for electric lighting be $80.

From the Newport Daily News, January 5, 1933

The fence which has enclosed the cemetery at the Four Corners for many years is being replaced by a stone wall.

50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, January 2, 1958

The new year was welcomed in Jamestown in an orderly, quiet manner. … Many private watch parties were held and more than 200 attended the dance sponsored by the Lions Club at the Holy Ghost Society hall on Narragansett Avenue.

25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, January 3, 1983

The largest crowd ever witnessed the biggest Penguin "flock" to take the seventh annual New Year's Day plunge in the ocean at Mackerel Cove last Saturday for the benefit of the R.I. Special Olympics. An estimated 2,700 turned out to watch.

From the Newport Daily News, January 5, 1983

The Jamestown Theatre on Narragansett Avenue has been sold to local real estate agent Bernard R. Dutra who plans to convert the 60-year-old building to an artists arcade.

From the Newport Daily News, January 6, 1983

After a victory in the fight to keep a parcel of federal land at Beavertail in local hands, a new struggle has started over land next to Fort Wetherill.

A total of 418 building permits were issued in Jamestown during 1982, according to a report by Building Inspector Charles J. Dowling, Jr. A breakdown shows that 37 permits were issued for the construction of single family homes valued at $1,950,158, according to figures submitted on permits.

10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, January 1, 1998

Picture this: It's high noon on New Year's Day, snow on the ground, ice patches on the road, and yet about 600 goose-pimpled people, white-fleshed bodies, at the sound of the horn, stampede down the beach at Mackerel Cove and dive headfirst into the chilling waters. Yes folks, it's time once again for the annual Penguin Plunge. This year's plunge is the 22nd to be held in Jamestown. … Jamestown police confirmed that the conference room at the police station will be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for swimmers who must sign in and leave their pledge deposits..

The Town Council last week appointed three people to the Town Administrator Search Committee.

Return to top