Renovated museum to be unveiled at open house
The Jamestown Historical Society is celebrating the successful completion of its year long $500,000 Capital Campaign with an Open House at the newly-renovated Jamestown Museum and the new vault in the Jamestown Town Hall.
On Sunday, May 11, from 5 to 7 p.m., visitors have a chance to see the museum at 92 Narragansett Ave., directly across the street from the Town Hall, and then be guided through the basement of the Town Hall to the vault, where much of the work of maintaining the Society's collection is now performed.
A short ceremony to thank those who contributed to the campaign will take place at 6 p.m.
The Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion will raise the American flag on the new flagpole for the first time. A plaque thanking the major donors for their support will be on display, and Message to the Future cards for the time capsule will be available to those who have not yet written their thoughts and wishes to Jamestown residents of 2057.
Paul Brunelle, dressed in the Revolutionary War uniform of Major Blogett, the guardian spirit of the Society's 1776 Battery in Battery Park, will protect the visitors as they cross between the museum and the vault. Board and committee members will be on hand at both the museum and the vault to answer questions about the Society's activities and future plans.
"It's a joyful day," said Society president Rosemary Enright. "Anne Livingston and John Murphy - the co-chairs of the Capital Campaign Committee - did a wonderful job. They brought together a whole group of hard-working people to get this done."
"We're still accepting donations," she went on. "They'll go directly into the endowment. The next board will need the income to help keep everything up and to develop more historical programs."
The Jamestown Historical Society is an all-volunteer organization dedicated to preserving, collecting, and sharing the island's history. Founded in 1912, the society maintains and operates the Jamestown Museum and three 18th-century historic sites: the Windmill, the Quaker Meetinghouse, and the 1776 Battery in Conanicut Battery Park, all open to the public.
The Historical Society is a valuable resource for students, educators, historians, and anyone interested in learning more about the area's rich heritage. Consider becoming a member today. To learn more, go to jamestownhistoricalsociety. org or call 423-0784.