This week in Island history
The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.
100 years ago From the Newport Daily News, June 4, 1908
Mr. F. H. Rosengarden has obtained permission from the town council to grade the sidewalk on Lincoln street, in front of the Brown property recently purchased by him. One large and one small cottage on the property have been torn down, leaving the cottage on the corner of Greene lane and Lincoln street, and the stable, which Mr. Rosengarden will use as a garage. The grounds are being graded, and to make it harmonious with his property across the street and to the east, Mr. Rosengarden is grading the sidewalk at his own expense.
The Providence Telephone Company is extending its line of poles to Beavertail.
The boiler and machinery for the boring of artesian wells crossed the ferry from Newport today, to sink a well at Fort Wetherill.
From the Newport Daily News, June 9, 1908
An automobile, which will seat 20 passengers has arrived in Newport for the Jamestown & Newport Ferry Company. The machine will be brought to the island this afternoon, when it is to be used to transfer passengers between the ferries.
75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, June 3, 1933
A representative of the New York Herald-Tribune Fresh Air Committee was in Jamestown, conferring with the local committee, in relation to the work of the coming season, which is being sponsored by the American Legion Auxiliary.
The post office will be open Sunday and the mail delivery will be from 10 to 10:45 a.m.
From the Newport Daily News, June 7, 1933
The information booth at Ferry wharf for fishing parties was discussed at length (at the annual meeting of the Board of Trade) and arrangements were made to have this office opened as soon as possible. … It was also voted to start the concrete walk at the town hall this to be paid for with funds from the Torpedo Station Relief Fund donated to the unemployed of Jamestown.
50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, June 3, 1958
The (Town) Council voted to back the Recreation Board in its plans for recreational facilities in the Fort Getty area. …the plans include picnic tables, benches, fireplaces and toilet facilities. … work on the small boat ramp would be approximately $300 and the other facilities around $500. (The price of admission to the area would be $2 per visit for transients; residents and taxpayers would pay one dollar for a car sticker good for Mackerel Cove and Ft. Getty.)
The Beavertail area at Jamestown will be closed to the public on June 23 from 1 p.m. to 4:50 p.m. and on June 26 from 8 a.m. to 4:50 p.m. The closing is necessary to protect the public during the annual field training of Marine Corps Reserve Units.
25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, June 1, 1983
The Town Council will hold the line on water department spending for the next six months, but meanwhile will look for ways to increase the available revenue for the department. … Most households now pay $18 per quarter for a minimum of 5,000 gallons of water. The rate is $1.65 for every 1,000 gallons after.
The town will apply to the National Park Service for the excess federal property adjacent to Fort Wetherill.
From the Newport Daily News, June 2, 1983
Town employees have begun cleaning the south res- ervoir. From the Newport Daily News, June 3, 1983
The 1796 Thomas Carr Watson Farm on North Road will officially open Saturday with a reception and tour of the farmhouse and land. In 1979, Watson bequeathed his 280- acre farm on Conanicut Island to SPNEA. From the Newport Daily News, June 6, 1983
The 1796 Thomas Carr Watson Farm opened to the public as a working farm Saturday, despite torrential rains in the morning and threatened to hamper the day's plans.
15 years ago From the Jamestown Press, June 4, 1993
All work on the cross-island highway work project remained at a standstill this week while both the state and environmentalist lawyers waited to hear whether a federal judge would lift a temporary restraining order he issued May 24.
About 1,000 islanders turned out Monday for the annual Memorial Day parade down Narragansett Avenue. The highlight of the march was the debut of the newly formed Jamestown Community Band. The band provided lively music along the parade route and then participated in a memorial service at East Ferry.
10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, June 4, 1998
The Town Council called an emergency session Sunday evening to act on state Department of Transportation's lack of communication with Jamestown regarding its plans for further work on Southwest Avenue. On a 4-0 vote … the council directed acting Town Administrator Maryanne Crawford to send a letter to DOT Director William Ankner stating the council's unanimous support of the road design plans it endorsed last September.