2008-10-09 / News

Skippers hold on to defeat Rogers 41 - 35

By Bob Bauer

It appeared that the North Kingstown varsity football team was well in control, leading by a score of 34-19, at the beginning of the final quarter of last Friday's game against Rogers High School.

Appearances can be deceiving however, and the Rogers team gave a good account of themselves during the closing minutes, only to fall short to the Skippers 41-35.

There was plenty of offensive action from the start. North Kingstown senior David D'Errico found the end zone in just over three minutes after the opening kickoff, the first of his four touchdowns. Matt King added the extra point. Rogers had an answer for that with a 54-yard drive that ended with fullback Nico Erausquin dashing in for paydirt. The extra point was good.

The Skippers were moving well on their next possession when Rogers defender Damon Morris came up with an interception in the end zone and the Vikings got the ball first and 10 on their 20-yard line. They worked fast from there, and a few plays later, Erausquin broke loose for 73 yards and another touchdown. The extra point attempt was no good and Rogers led 13-7.

North Kingstown regained the lead, 14-13, on a 7-yard run from junior back Robert Walker and another extra point from King. Rogers responded when quarterback Kyle DeCosta hit Freddie Hicks with a 41-yard scoring pass on a third down and eleven situation. The 2-point conversion failed, but Rogers led 19-14.

The scoring continued as the Skippers marched down the field after starting at the Rogers 46- yard line. Carries by Dan Blais and Walker set up another score and extra point by the D'Errico-King combo. The Skippers led 21-19 and would not trail again in the game.

On the next drive, Rogers was in punting formation when the kicker tried a forward pass after handling a balky snap from center. Senior linebacker Ben Polom was not fooled and returned the interception all the way. The touchdown and extra point gave North Kingstown a 28- 19 lead at the half.

In the third quarter, the Skippers added to their margin with another score from D'Errico.

The extra point try missed and Rogers was down by 15 points, 34- 19, with 12 minutes to play.

Rogers continued to battle back, with Morris gaining 30 yards on a reverse play that was followed by a 2-yard scoring plunge by DeCosta. DeCosta also carried on a successful 2- point conversion that put Rogers back in contention, 34-27. Rogers presented North Kingstown with an onside kick that they recovered and had a brief chance to try to tie the game. Their hopes were dashed when they fumbled the ball away on the next play, leading to yet another D'Errico touchdown and good extra point. North Kingstown had its two-score lead back. 41-27.

Once again the Vikings refused to give up. With less than threeminutes left to play, DeCosta executed a pass to Mike Kelly behind the line of scrimmage, leaving Kelly eligible to pass again to a downfi eld receiver. He found tight end Derrick Starnes for a 38-yard tally, that along with a successful DeCosta Starnes 2-point pass conversion brought the score to 41-35. Rogers again tried an onside kick, but North Kingstown fielded it and was able to run out the clock to preserve the victory over a stubborn team.

This win brings the Skippers record to 2-2. They started the season with a win at Westerly and lost to LaSalle and Barrington . They will be back in action at home in their homecoming game against Cranston tomorrow, Friday, Oct. 10, at 7 p.m.

Return to top