Volunteer opportunities posted
Serving Communities, Helping Others, Opportunities for All (SHO) is a clearinghouse for volunteer opportunities.
SHO currently has opportunities available in Jamestown and North Kingstown for adults 18 and older. A few positions for teens, ages 13 to 17, are also available at the SHO office.
• Help elderly neighbors keep their medical appointments. Drivers are urgently needed in the Jamestown area, Monday through Friday.
• Enjoy the special sense of fulfillment that comes from working with children. LINKS, the North Kingstown school volunteers, offer a wide range of volunteer opportunities. Sample options include, academic tutors, classroom assistants, career center planners, computer lab workers, library/media center helpers, and parent/teacher resource center assistants. Commitments range from one day through one term to the full school year. Training will be provided.
• Become a class leader and share your passion for art, stamps, history, astronomy or French with South Kingstown seniors. Your class would meet on a weekday at The Center in Wakefield.
• Help abused children as a CASA Special Advocate. Volunteers, who must be at least 21 years old and U. S. citizens, gather facts, interview parties, submit reports to the court, appear at hearings and monitor court orders. Training and a 12 month minimum commitment are required.
• South County Hospital in Wakefield seeks volunteers to help with sales in its gift shop, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Also available are positions checking patients in at the Ultra Sound desk, mornings and afternoons; this stationary post is ideal for an elderly volunteer or someone with limited mobility. Volunteers receive a $3 voucher toward meals in the hospital café.
• Animal lovers, the Animal Rescue League in South Kingstown seeks fund-raisers and a pet walker coordinator for its once-a-month dog walks at local parks, farms, and villages. The volunteer coordinator will interact with pet owners and teach the dogs to socialize, eventually taking over the monthly event.
• Cane Child Development Center in Wakefield needs volunteers to help serve lunch, input data into the computer, create a website, interact with toddlers or assist in the classroom with 4 year olds. Energy and patience are required.