2009-04-16 / Island History

This week in Island history

Week of April 16
Compiled by Sue Maden

The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.

100 years ago From the Newport Daily News, April 13, 1909

The tax rate was fixed at $1 on each $100 of taxable property … the tax to be paid before January 1, 1910, a discount of two per cent being allowed on all taxes paid before August 20. .. The free use of the town hall was granted to the Royal Arcanum, the Grange and the Jamestown Band.

From the Newport Daily News, April 14, 1909

William A. Barber was appointed a committee to receive bids for street lighting (at a special meeting of the town council). … Thomas A. Lathan was appointed to care for the town's horses, the salary being fixed at $60 a month. Arrangements were made to have the hand fire engine brought from Conanicut Park and for its disposal, with the town's old watering cart.

From the Newport Daily News, April 16, 1909

The Gardner House and the Bay View Hotel are both being put in readiness for the coming season. Besides the regular spring cleaning, both hotels are being equipped with additional private baths.

75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, April 13, 1934

The circular contract was awarded (by the Jamestown Board of Trade) to John F. Greene Company, Inc., of Providence and are to be delivered in lots of 5,000. … Charles H. Brooks stated that the coal pocket at the East ferry would be torn down before the arrival of the fleet, and a landing for the shore boats of the navy would be built on the site.

From the Newport Daily News, April 18, 1934

At a meeting of the new civic organization of the Portuguese citizens, it was voted to call the association, the Portuguese-Citizens Independent Club.

50 years ago

From the Newport Daily News, April 14, 1959

An 18-8 vote in favor of continued affiliation with Little League Baseball, Inc., was cast in an open meeting of the Jamestowners last night, under the auspices of the town's recreation committee.

Jamestown will join other Rhode Island communities tomorrow in the Civil Defense exercise. The alert will come over the police department's switchboard. The fire station siren will be sounded at 11:30 a.m.

From the Newport Daily News, April 17, 1959

Jamestown residents were told in a letter by the Jamestown Protective Assn. today that a refinery on the island "would have resulted in "sulphurous, skunk smelling and rotten egg" odors. The residents also were told that, when they learned more about refineries, "you will be thankful for our having saved you and your family from this menace to health and this interference with your enjoyment of naturally clean air and water."

From the Newport Daily News, April 18, 1959

Stephen R. Smith, toll collector on the Jamestown Bridge since it opened in 1940, was retired at his own request effective April 1 by the Jamestown Bridge Commission.

25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, April 17, 1984

It was a long time coming, but it was worth the wait. The culmination of a three-year project will come Thursday morning when a three-foot high wood and brass "Welcome to Jamestown" sign is erected at the intersection of Eldred Avenue and North Road. Donated to the town by the Jamestown Junior Women's Club, the oval sign features a three-dimensional hand-carved replica of Beavertail Lighthouse.

From the Newport Daily News, April 18, 1984

The environmental organization Save the Bay voiced objections last week to any drainage plans for the new Jamestown Bridge connector road that would harm wetlands.

15 years ago From the Jamestown Press, April 14, 1994

Rabies shots will be administered at the cost of $8 per pet during a clinic at the fire station next Saturday, April 23, from noon to 1 p.m. … Hundreds of confi rmed cases of rabid raccoons have been reported in neighboring Connecticut over the past three years, and more than 40 cases have been confirmed in nearby Massachusetts since 1992.

10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, April 15, 1999

The state Department of Environmental Management hopes that it and the town can soon sign off on a "memorandum of understanding" pertaining to a fisheries laboratory that agency now plans to start constructing at Ft. Wetherill State Park in the late fall.

The cast and crew of the television show "Providence" were expected to film scenes in Jamestown.

Return to top