2009-04-30 / Island History

This week in Island history

Week of April 30
Compiled by Sue Maden

The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.

100 years ago From the Newport Daily News, April 27, 1909

An ordinance was passed (at the town council meeting) fixing a license of $5 on peddlers of oil, kerosene and gasoline. … W.H. Severance was appointed a committee to confer with the owners of the (town) clerk's office building in regard to necessary repairs.

From the Newport Daily News, April 30, 1909

Mr. T. G. Carr has been presented with a handsome loving cup by the pupils of the grammar schools. Owing to poor health Mr. Carr was obliged to resign from the school committee after a term of 23 years.

From the Newport Daily News, May 1, 1909

About 30 cottages have been rented in Jamestown, up to the end of April, for the coming summer. This augurs well for the season, for May is expected to develop many more rentals.

75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, April 30, 1934

(At the town council meeting it was) Resolved, that the town treasurer be directed to make any arrangements with the state unemployment Relief Commission or the Relief Administration to enable the town to receive full benefit of any contribution towards the expenditures of this town's unemployment relief under the ERA Work Division program. … Having received no compensation, it was voted that Dennis D. Sheehan be given a vote of thanks for the use of his store at Ferry Wharf, as the office of the superintendent of Unemployment Relief Work and director of public aid.

50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, April 28, 1959

Dog licensing is lagging behind about 40 per cent, as compared to the same time last year, the (Town) Council was told. The field procurement committee for the Jamestown Little League requested use of Clarke School field, and a portion of the building to store baseball equipment. The request was referred (by the Council) to the Recreation commission.

25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, April 30, 1984

Twenty-two children will receive their first communions at St. Mark's Church Sunday during the 10 a.m. mass.

15 years ago From the Newport Daily News, April 28, 1994

Residents hooked into the town water and sewer lines can expect to see a significant cost increase when they get their next bills. Sitting as the Board of Water and Sewer Commissioners Monday, the Town Council voted to increase the minimum rate for the first 5,000 gallons of water by 10 percent and raise the rate from $2.60 to $2.98 per 1,000 gallons. The council also voted to increase the sewer rate by 15 percent, from $3.13 to $3.60 for each 1,000 gallons of water used.

Jamestowners living, working, and playing on the southern part of the island should take precautions against deer ticks and the possibility of contracting Lyme disease. (A map shows average number of deer ticks per amount in specific areas.)

You'll be both captivated and enchanted by the Jamestown Community Theatre's spectacular presentation of "The King and I" which opens tomorrow night.

10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, April 29, 1999

Almost 10 years after Jamestown was first approached by the state Department of Environmental Management about development of its seven-acre parcel at Ft. Wetherill and several scaled-up and scaleddown versions of the marine fishery facility later—a "memorandum of understanding" will be signed by the two governments.

(photo caption) … Volunteers collected more than 1.6 tons of trash from the island's beaches. The refuse was hauled away by Island Rubbish and the event was sponsored by the Jamestown Conservation Commission and the Conanicut Island Land Trust.

A crew of 100 will be filming "Me, Myself, and Irene," a movie starring Jim Carey, in downtown Jamestown on May 11 and 12.

Return to top