This week in Island history
The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the James town Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.
100 years ago From the Newport Daily News, July 22, 1909
The water main, from opposite Jencek’s on Southwest avenue to the right of way leading to the government reservation at Fox Hill, has been laid and water turned on to supply the detachment of artillerymen recently stationed at Fort Getty. The foundation for a new pumping station has been stubbed out on the Watson farm.
(At the town council meeting) the Jamestown and Newport Ferry Company was granted one automobile license; the Narragansett Transportation Company two automobile and two bus licenses; the Bay Shore House and the Thorndike, tavern licenses; S. Horowitz, a junk license; N. David, peddler of dry good license and A. H. Peckham two carriage and 2 drivers licenses.
75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, July 21, 1934
Mrs. Willis E. Clarke will meet at Kingston Monday five children from the New York Fresh Air Fund, who have been invited to make a two weeks stay (in Jamestown).
From the Newport Daily News, July 23, 1934
The perfect weather Sunday brought many visitors to the island. Mackerel Cove beach had one of the largest crowds of the season and many bathers. The Beavertail Country Club was enjoyed by a large number of golfers and the tennis courts were well filled. At Beavertail, the shore was lined with cars, and many were seen fishing off the rocks. A number of supper parties were also held there.
From the Newport Daily News, July 25, 1934
A naval dinner party was held Tuesday evening in the Spruce Rooms at the Bay Voyage in honor of Rear Admiral Arthur J. Hepburn of the U. S. Detroit, commander of the battle force.
50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, July 21, 1959
The state’s plan for improving traffic conditions at Ferry Wharf in Jamestown was presented at a meeting in Town Hall last night. … (It was explained) that they called for the removal of the Conanicus-Roger Williams monument to a short distance in Memorial Square and installation of curbings and rearrangement of parking in an east-west direction, instead of north-south.
From the Newport Daily News, July 23, 1959
The Commerce Oil Corp., which planned to build the $5,000,000 Jamestown refinery, has closed its Jamestown office, disconnected the electricity, and canceled its order with the telephone company for 10 consecutive numbers.
25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, July 23, 1984
A meeting of individuals interested in developing a land trust was held on July 17… . Reasons for developing a land trust in Jamestown ranged from preservation of open space and critical habitat for wildlife to creative management of the lands yet to be delivered to protection of aesthetic and rural qualities of the island. The name Conanicut Island Land Trust was adopted by the group. Two committees – originating and membership – were formed.
15 years ago From the Newport Daily News, July 21, 1994
The Town Council has sent a letter expressing its disappointment in state Rep. Kenneth Carter’s objection to a resolution in which Jamestown sought a payment in lieu of taxes from the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority.
The state has paid the town nearly $11,000 in reimbursement for Newport Bridge tokens used by emergency vehicles over the past 12 years.
Removal of tanks and drums at Beavertail Point will be accomplished under the terms of a $12,770 contract recently awarded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. … The contract calls for removal and disposal of a 280-gallon gasoline, 1,000-gallon fuel oil and 65-gallon fuel oil underground storage tanks, three 65-gallon empty drums and one 55-gallon propane tank, contaminated soil will be removed as required.
10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, July 22, 1999
Starting today, all outdoor uses of town water are banned. This means homeowners in the municipal water district can no longer water their vegetables and flowers for 15 minutes on odd or even calendar days as they have been doing for the past several weeks.
When the new Town Council held a public work session last week with the Highway Barn Committee, no one showed up. The issue may, in fact, be more complicated and controversial than last year. … Factors that cloud the decision presently facing council members include not only pending environmental analysis of the transfer station site, but also the imminence of the Sept. 1 evacuation deadline at the present facility at Ft. Wetherill and the hardened positions of the north end citizens group and of the councilappointed committee to remain intact for future assistance on this tough decision.