This week in Island history
The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.
100 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Sept. 15, 1909
The German Cruisers are objects of interest to the passengers on the ferries, excellent views being obtained from the upper decks of the boats on their regular trips.
From the Newport Daily News, Sept. 16, 1909
A delivery wagon, belonging to the Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company of Newport, was left by the driver at the corner of Windsor and Cole streets Saturday. The grass in the vacant lot proved too inviting for the horse and in endeavoring to reach it, he turned too short, capsizing the groceries. The wagon was somewhat broken, and another had to be procured to finish delivering what could be saved of the load.
75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Sept. 17, 1934
When G. C. Carr of the East Shore road left his home Sunday morning to take his truck to the Carr farm, to secure his usual load of milk for the Jamestown and Newport delivery, it was among the missing. A thorough search was made in the vicinity to no avail, and as it was necessary to make the delivery, the truck of Alfred Richardson at the ferry was secured. Late in the afternoon, as John Murray, the pro at the Conanicut Country Club, arrived, he discovered the truck at the clubhouse, more than two miles from the Carr home. No damage was done.
50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Sept. 17, 1959
Preliminary plans for a marina at Dutch Harbor Island at Jamestown, capable of berthing 100 boats and with launching space for outboard motor craft from trailers were made public today by the State Development Council … Estimated cost of the docking and related facilities is $700,000 but this is exclusive of land acquisition and buildings.
From the Newport Daily News, Sept. 19, 1959
Doubling of the annual fees paid by the Jamestown Bridge Commission to Fay, Spofford and Thorndyke, of Boston, its engineering consultants, was approved by the Jamestown Bridge Commission at its meeting last night in Jamestown. It is the first change in the fee since 1948. The request to increase the fee from $2,000 to $4,000 was made by letter.
From the Newport Daily News, Sept. 21, 1959
The new Jamestown Bowling Lanes will have 11 leagues, comprising at least 60 teams, this winter. Leagues will be in action each weeknight with the exception of Saturday and Sunday, with two school leagues meeting during the afternoon. Feminine interest in bowling has resulted in formation of three leagues among the women.
25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Sept. 14, 1984
(photo caption) Wreckers from Bilray of Johnston Thursday demolish Jamestown’s Harbor View Nursing Home to make way for a five-unit condominium complex. (The) Victorian building was built in 1887 and was used as a rooming house and inn restraint before (it was a) nursing home.
From the Newport Daily News, Sept. 17, 1984
The Beavertail Lighthouse Loop will be closed starting today for six to eight weeks for repairs. … Construction work for road improvements, new timber guardrails and erosion control to keep water run-off in check are planned.
15 years ago From the Jamestown Press, Sept. 15, 1994
The proposed ballfield at Eldred Avenue is two steps closer to becoming a reality. (The town received verbal approval for the project from the Federal Highway Administration, and the transfer of the deed to the property from the state Department of Transportation to the town was on DOT’s Sept. 20 agenda.)
A small ceremony was conducted Monday at the Grange Hall on West Street as the ground was officially broken for renovations that will turn the building into Jamestown’s new Senior Center.
Restoration of two volumes of town records, covering the years between 1744 and 1857, was recently completed and the books are back in Town Hall.
10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, Sept. 16, 1999
Town Administrator Maryanne Crawford told the Town Council members Monday night that the town has been on North Kingstown water since Sept. 8. The recent rain has raised the water level at North Pond reservoir by 3 inches, but the town’s main water supply is still 65 inches below capacity.
Plans are complete and the stage is set for the Millenium Masterpiece — a once in a lifetime photo of everyone in Jamestown. This photo will be taken at Fox Hill farm off Fort Getty on Saturday, Sept. 18. … Onne Van De Wal will snap the shot with a special panoramic camera.