Safety tips for a happy Halloween
This Saturday is Halloween, so keep an eye out for little ghosts and goblins. Here are a few tips to ensure a safe and happy time for all:
• Enter and exit driveways and alleys carefully.
• Watch for children wearing dark clothing.
• Make sure an adult or older youth is responsible and stays with children under 12 as they go door to door.
• Plan and discuss a route in advance, and know the names of your children’s companions.
• Give children a cell phone so they can check in periodically.
• Instruct children to travel only in familiar areas, stopping only at houses that are well lit. Tell kids never to enter the house of a stranger.
• Establish a return time and give at least one child a watch.
• Tell children not to eat anything until they get home.
• Give children the names of some “safe” adults they can go to if there is a problem.
• Establish a meeting place if anyone gets separated from the group.
• Make sure costumes are not long enough to trip over.
• Add reflective tape to costumes that are dark in color.
• Walk on the sidewalks, not in the streets, and carry a flashlight or glow stick to light your way.