Holiday happenings around Rhode Island
Editor’s Note: Here’s a brief list of holiday events we think our readers may find of interest.
Concerts and performances
• Island Moving Company’s Newport Nutcracker at Rosecliff opens Nov. 27, with performances continuing through Dec. 4. Visit www.islandmovingco.org or call 847-4470.
• On Saturday, Nov. 28, and Saturday, Dec. 19, at 2 p.m. meet a historical interpreter portraying 18th century Newport teenager Polly Wanton, who will discuss winter life during the American Revolution on a tour of the Wanton Lyman-Hazard House. Hear stories, sip hot cider and sample a light snack by candlelight in front of an open fire as colonial visitors once did. Admission is $25 per person, $20 for NHS members, which includes property tours, refreshments, tax and tip. Reservations required; 841-8770.
• An acoustic benefit concert for Lucy’s Hearth and the McKinney Shelter will be held Wednesday, Dec. 2, at 7 p.m. at Channing Memorial Church, 135 Pelham St., Newport. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $10 (children are free with an adult); call 849-4250 or email Mgorman20@cox.net. Tickets will be available at the door, but seating is limited.
• R.I. Ballet Theatre will present “Alice Meets the Nutcracker” at 3 p.m. on Dec. 6 at East Greenwich High School. The performance is geared to younger audience members, with excerpts from the Nutcracker and a storybook ballet. Reserved tickets are $15 and $25; call 847-5301.
• The North Kingstown Community Chorus and Youth Chorus will perform its annual winter concert on Saturday, Dec. 5, at 7 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 6, at 3 p.m. at the N.K. High School auditorium. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Children 8 and younger are free. Call 295- 1699 for ticket information.
• Emmanuel Church, 42 Dearborn St., Newport; annual holiday fair; Friday, Nov. 20 from 4 to 8 p.m. and Saturday, Nov. 21, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The church will also collect non-perishable food items to be donated to the Martin Luther King Center Feed a Friend Food Pantry.
House tours • The Newport Historical Society will offer lantern-lit strolls through Colonial Newport’s streets, and a visit to the 1697 Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House, during its one-hour Holiday Lantern Tour. Tours are held Fridays at 5 p.m., Nov. 13 through Dec. 18; tickets are $12 per person, $10 for NHS members. Reservations suggested; call 841-8770.
• The Junior League of R.I. will sponsor “Gems of Newport: A Holiday Hospitality Tour” on Saturday, Dec. 5, a self-guided tour of six historic properties decorated for the holidays. Properties include the Chanler at Cliff Walk, the Francis Malbone House, Hilltop Inn, Ivy Lodge and the Sanford-Covell Villa Marina. Tickets are $30; call 331- 9302 or visit www.JLRI.org.
• Clouds Hill Victorian House Museum at 4157 Post Rd. in Warwick will open for guided tours through rooms decorated for the season. The museum will open on Saturday, Dec. 5, from 3 to 7 p.m.; Sunday, Dec. 6, from 1 to 5 p.m., and Sunday, Dec. 13, from 1 to 5 p.m. Admission is $15 per person; call 884-9490 or visit www.cloudshill.org.