Holiday happenings around the area
Editor’s Note: Here’s a brief list of upcoming holiday events we think our readers may find of interest.
Concerts and performances
• Island Moving Company’s Newport Nutcracker at Rosecliff opens Nov. 27, with performances continuing through Dec. 4. Visit www.islandmovingco.org or call 847-4470.
• On Saturday, Nov. 28, at 2 p.m., meet a historical interpreter portraying 18th century Newport teenager Polly Wanton, who will discuss winter life during the American Revolution on a tour of the Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House. Admission is $25 per person, $20 for NHS members, which includes property tours, refreshments, tax and tip. Reservations required; 841-8770.
Fairs, festivals and bazaars
• Emmanuel Church, 42 Dearborn St., Newport; annual holiday fair; Friday, Nov. 20 from 4 to 8 p.m. and Saturday, Nov. 21, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. The church will also collect non-perishable food items to be donated to the Martin Luther King Center Feed a Friend Food Pantry.
• United Congregational Church, 524 Valley Rd. in Middletown, will host a holiday bazaar on Saturday, Nov. 21, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Call 849-5444 for more information.
• Monsignor Clarke School will host its annual Christmas festival on Sunday, Dec. 6, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at 5074 Tower Hill Road in Wakefield. Call 789-0860 for more information.
• Historic Wickford will present “Wickford Decks the Halls: A Holiday Kitchen Tour,” on Sunday, Dec. 6, from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. The tour includes eight historic homes featuring kitchens, keeping rooms and dining areas decorated for the holidays. Tickets are $25 in advance, $30 the day of the tour; call 295-2583 for information.