This week in Island history
The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.
100 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Dec. 1, 1909
Nearly a score of the Portuguese colony left here today for the Azores. A number of them have been in this country for several years and have accumulated enough money to buy a place in their native country.
A party of surveyors under the direction of the State Board of Good Roads are surveying Narragansett Avenue. The street, which is one of the state roads, was in poor condition last season and will need considerable repairing.
From the Newport Daily News, Dec. 3, 1909
After some delay, owing to the bad weather, work is again progressing satisfactorily on the excavation for the new St. Mark’s Catholic Church. The cottage at the back of the recently acquired property is to be moved nearer the street and used as a rectory.
75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Dec. 1, 1934
(At the town council meeting) voted, that the bill of James T. O’Connell in the sum of $91.77 for cement used on sidewalks in front of various residences on Narragansett Avenue, be referred to the former director of public aid for information.
Following the meeting of the Board of Canvassers, Thomas F. Sheehan from the American Legion Post addressed the meeting in regard to the possi- bility of the town presenting a memorial hall to the Jamestown Post. Mr. Sheehan suggested that the town, upon abandoning the old fire station on Narragansett Avenue, give the station house to the Legion as a home or memorial hall. No action was taken.
50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Dec. 7, 1959
An operating deficit of more than $250,000 for the Jamestown and Newport Ferry was anticipated for the coming fiscal year in figures submitted by the Public Works Department to the state budget committee.
25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Dec. 3, 1984
Foiled by budget constraints, plans for a trash transfer station have to be changed to allow town workers to build a smaller facility. … A letter from DEM dated Nov. 26 gave the town until March 1, 1985, to submit a revised plan and schedule for the new transfer station. … Residents currently can dispose of their household trash in two trailers parked at the former landfill site.
15 years ago From the Jamestown Press, Dec. 1, 1994
The Town Council will ask the state Department of Transportation to look at ways to make access to the island’s north end easier before it demolishes a temporary section of Eldred Avenue that runs parallel to the new cross-island highway.
The state Department of Transportation opened a westbound highway lane over the recently completed North Main Road overpass Monday, and all ramps on and off Route 138 were functioning as they will when the four-lane expressway is finished.
10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, Dec. 2, 1999
If they get positive feedback from the Jamestown and Newport Town Councils, the operators of the Newport Bridge plan to string “necklace lighting” along the cables of the bridge that would be illuminated for the holidays and special events. …The 146-string lighting would be strung on the cables that lead up the bridge to the bridge towers and cost “in the neighborhood of $300,000.”
The Jamestown Community Chorus will present its 50th anniversary concert on Dec. 11 and 12 at the Community Center.