Holiday happenings around the area
Editor’s note: The following are some off-island events that readers may enjoy.
Concerts and performances
• On Saturday, Dec. 19, at 2 p.m. meet a historical interpreter portraying 18th century Newport teenager Polly Wanton, who will discuss winter life during the American Revolution on a tour of the Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House. Hear stories, sip hot cider and sample a light snack by candlelight in front of an open fire as colonial visitors once did. Admission is $25 per person, $20 for NHS members, which includes property tours, refreshments, tax and tip. Reservations required; 841-8770.
• The Lafayette Band of North Kingstown will perform a free holiday concert tomorrow, Friday, Dec. 4, at 7:15 p.m. at the First Baptist Church at 34 Main St. in Wickford.
• The North Kingstown Community Chorus and Youth Chorus will perform its annual winter concert on Saturday, Dec. 5, at 7 p.m. and Sunday, Dec. 6, at 3 p.m. at the N.K. High School auditorium. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Children 8 and younger are free. Call 295-1699 for ticket information.
• R.I. Ballet Theatre will present “Alice Meets the Nutcracker” at 3 p.m. on Dec. 6 at East Greenwich High School. The performance is geared to younger audience members, with excerpts from the Nutcracker and a storybook ballet. Reserved tickets are $15 and $25; call 847-5301.
• On Friday, Dec. 11, at 5:45 p.m. the Newport Yachting Center’s Sovereign Bank Family Skating Center will kick off its season with a tree lighting and grand opening. Skating will take place from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Call 846- 3018 for more information.
• The Newport Historical Society will offer lantern-lit strolls through Colonial Newport’s streets, and a visit to the 1697 Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House, during its one-hour Holiday Lantern Tour. Tours are held Fridays at 5 p.m. through Dec. 18; tickets are $12 per person, $10 for NHS members. Reservations suggested; call 841-8770.
• The Junior League of R.I. will sponsor “Gems of Newport: A Holiday Hospitality Tour” on Saturday, Dec. 5, a self-guided tour of six historic properties decorated for the holidays. Properties include the Chanler at Cliff Walk, the Francis Malbone House, Hilltop Inn, Ivy Lodge and the Sanford-Covell Villa Marina. Tickets are $30; call 331-9302 or visit www.JLRI.org.
• Historic Wickford will present “Wickford Decks the Halls: A Holiday Kitchen Tour,” on Sunday, Dec. 6, from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. The tour includes eight historic homes featuring kitchens, keeping rooms and dining areas decorated for the holidays. Tickets are $25 in advance, $30 the day of the tour; call 295-2583 for information.