This week in Island history
The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.
100 years ago
From the Newport Journal, Feb. 26, 1910
The fluke fishermen are getting in their traps along the shores of the island, and within a short time the question of the extent to which the numerous beam trawlers have reduced the flatfish will be determined.
The cottage on the property recently acquired by St. Mark’s Church Corporation is being raised to allow a cellar to be dug. Other improvements are to be made to the building to fit it for a parsonage.
Several people looking for cottages for the season of 1910 have been on the island for the past day or two.
75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Feb. 25, 1935
The Jamestown High Boys vanquished the North Ends to the tune of 32-25 in the Holy Ghost Hall, Jamestown, Saturday evening.
From the Newport Daily News, Feb. 26, 1935
Ferry service between West Jamestown and Saunderstown will be resumed Friday, March 1, after a discontinuance of several weeks, owing to ice in the bay, during which Steamer Beavertail has been tied at her dock on the west side.
A large number of robins were reported having been seen at the Dumplings Sunday.
From the Newport Daily News, Feb. 28, 1935
A small building at the head of the pier at Gould Island, used as a pump house and waiting room, was destroyed by fire early this morning, but the damage is estimated as negligible, because the structure was old and the furnishings not valuable.
50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Feb. 25, 1960
A proposed budget of $193,936, an increase of $13,437 over last year, was adopted by the Jamestown School Committee. …The largest single increase is $10,000 in tuition, raising last year’s expenditures figure of $38,902.75 to an estimated $48,000. The increase reflects the rise of the past year in tuition fees charged by secondary schools in Newport, as well as enrollment increases.
25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Feb. 27, 1985
The planned conversion of the Jamestown Inn on East Shore Road into eight condominium units was considered by the Zoning Board. …Jamestown Inn is being used as seven apartments and a bar under the grandfather clause. If the con- dominium – known as Conanicut Park Condominiums – is approved, the property would go from a mixed use to residential.
The annual sock hop, sponsored by Jamestown Junior Women’s Club, is Saturday at the Holy Ghost Hall from 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. Music will be played by the The Hall of Famers featuring Howie Taft.
15 years ago From the Jamestown Press, Feb. 24, 1995
A group of islanders have developed an ambitious proposal for the renovation of East Ferry that would create a village center and improve public access to the town’s waterfront. The plan calls for the construction of a village green where summer concerts and other town gatherings could be staged. The village green would provide a unique setting for veterans’ ceremonies and would offer an attractive “front door” to welcome visitors to the village.
The 1995 Jamestown Resident Privilege Stickers go on sale on March 1. …The Full Privilege Sticker costs $40 and allows use of the Transfer Station and admission and parking at Mackerel Cove and Ft. Getty. …The Resident Recreation Sticker costs $5 per sticker and allows admission and parking at Mackerel Cove and Ft. Getty.
10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, Feb. 24, 2000
The American Civil Liberties Union last week blasted the Jamestown School for the way it handled a drug search at Lawn Avenue School.
Administrators from North Kingstown High School presented the plans for the new high school building to the Jamestown School Committee at its Feb. 17 meeting. …The new $28 million facility includes an 800-seat auditorium and a 2,400-seat athletic stadium.