2010-07-15 / Island History

This week in Island history

Week of July 15
Compiled by Sue Maden

The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.

100 years ago From the Newport Journal, July 16, 1910

After a long period of inactivity, the fire department was given a run and a few minutes’ work Sunday afternoon. The fire was located in the back part of the Collins block, a portion of which is occupied by the Hinoke Sons of Newport as a branch market. …The fire was a slight affair, but was one of those partition blazes, which are hard to locate and thoroughly put out. Evidently, a cigarette butt had been thrown against the building.

75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, July 16, 1935

Arrangements have been completed by the Beavertail Golf and Country Club with Bob Bennett’s orchestra of Philadelphia for the remainder of the season.

From the Newport Daily News, July 17, 1935

Samuel W. Smith, 3rd, has been appointed postmaster of Jamestown, according to an announcement made in Washington today. …He took over his duties today and will receive a salary of $2,300. From the Newport Daily News, July 18, 1935

The membership of the Beavertail Golf and Country Club now numbers more than 140.

50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, July 13, 1960

The Jamestown School Committee last night adopted policies on homework as recommended by a committee of parents and teachers, which has been engaged in a study of the matter for some time. …Homework of a mechanical exercise type is barred as a requirement, and homework having creative projects or experiments undertaken on a voluntary basis by individuals is highly recommended for all grades.

From the Newport Daily News, July 16, 1960

The Jamestown Bridge had a net profit of $42,028 for the seven months period ending June 30, 1960. This was an increase of $5,013.33 over the corresponding period of a year ago. ….The report showed that 275,291 vehicles crossed the bridge during this period, an increase of 28,162 over 1959.

25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, July 12, 1985

A new ambulance for the Jamestown Ambulance Association arrived recently from Orlando, Fla. The ambulance is equipped with some of the most advanced life support equipment in Rhode Island.

From the Newport Daily News, July 15, 1985

The Town Council will review a cost proposal tonight for engineering work needed to build a new chemical feed plant for the town’s water system.

15 years ago From the Jamestown Press, July 13, 1995

Due to a lack of rain, residents can no longer wash their cars, fill their swimming pools or water their lawns and flower beds, but vegetable gardens can still be watered with a hand-held hose. The additional restrictions on outdoor water use were approved by the Town Council Monday.

It is not ready for soccer just yet, but the Eldred Avenue ball field is coming closer to being a reality. … Titcon-Gammon, the contractor for the cross-island highway project, is currently using its heavy equipment to grade, fill and level the field.

The Town Council has postponed taking action on the proposed $2.2 million renovation of East Ferry until next month, when it expects to learn whether the town will receive a federal grant to cover most of the project’s cost.

10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, July 13, 2000

Starting Monday, July 20, the Jamestown library will notify patrons of their reserve or overdue materials using a Telectric system provided by the Cooperating Libraries Automated Network.

The Board of Commissioners of the Rhode Island Resource Recovery Corporation recently awarded Jamestown $2,621.92 for its performance in the state’s recycling program.

Return to top