2010-09-30 / Island History

This week in Island history

Week of September 30
Compiled by Sue Maden

The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.

100 years ago From the Newport Journal, Oct. 1, 1910

The Tautog have at last apparently struck in. The fishermen at Beavertail made good catches Sunday, one man taking over 70 at the “Gully.”

The sidewalk on the easterly side of Clinton Avenue near the foot of the street is being built up with the crushed stone taken from the work on Narragansett Avenue.

Mr. George Chandler is busy hauling out his fleet of small boats for the winter.

75 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Sept. 26, 1935

(At the school committee meeting) expense money of $5 per teacher was voted for the annual institute to be held in Providence in October. …A see-saw unit for the girls’ side, at the Carr School, was ordered purchased. …Plans for the Americanization class …were discussed. The opinion was that the class should be organized and continued as long as there was a call for it.

From the Newport Daily News, Sept. 27, 1935

(A protest was received by the town council from property owners in the Dumplings and Shoreby Hill, which stated) we wish to call to your attention the lack of town necessities which those of us who live at the Dumplings are obliged to suffer. The lights on Highland drive were not turned on until late in the season, and then because of a protest. The roads have been clouded with dust. …Dogs are allowed to run loose and invade the property of the neighbors. The assessments of our properties have been practically unchanged for years. In spite of the fall of the value in all real estate, we are paying more taxes in 1935 than in any year since 1917.

50 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Sept. 27, 1960

Another round in the fight against establishment of an oil refinery in Jamestown will get underway Thursday when the U.S. Supreme Court is asked to review a lower court decision favoring the refinery.

Harold E. Shippee, superintendent of Mackerel Cove beach and Ft. Getty reservation, reported to the (Town) Council $3,695 in total receipts for the summer as compared with $2,174 in 1959, in spite of the shorter season this year. Beach and Ft. Getty stickers brought in $1,044; day tickets, $757; and Ft. Getty season tickets for non-residents, $894.

25 years ago From the Newport Daily News, Sept. 28, 1985

Hurricane Gloria turned into more of “a lady” than expected and was just a tropical storm today, but left at least five dead, millions without power and East Coast officials still counting the property damage in her wake.

One man was injured trying to remove a tree limb, and seven yachts ripped from the moorings and crashed ashore at East Ferry Friday during the height of Hurricane Gloria. But Jamestown preparedness, coupled with Gloria’s swing to the west, spared the island from the worst during the hurricane, which carried winds gusting to 90 mph. Many trees and limbs were torn down throughout the island. The island was divided briefly at Mackerel Cove when the seawater washed over Southwest Avenue.

From the Newport Daily News, Sept. 30, 1985

The Town Council will meet with other town boards tonight in an effort to establish “more frequent direct communication” among them.

15 years ago From the Jamestown Press, Sept. 28, 1995

Town officials have shut down the municipal well at North Pond reservoir and will leave it off until water levels in the surrounding area stabilize. All water used by islanders tied into the municipal water lines is now coming from North Kingstown through the Jamestown emergency pipeline and directly into the town’s distribution system.

Water use at the town-owned Ft. Getty campground this season was lower than what would be expected. …The 653,690 gallons of water used at Ft. Getty during the droughtplagued summer was well within the water department’s projections for per person water use.

10 years ago From the Jamestown Press, Sept. 28, 2000

The U.S. Postal Service has informed the town by letter that they are considering two parcels of land on which to put a new town post offi ce. A third parcel at 28 Narragansett Ave., the site of Jamestown Distributors, was rejected by the Postal Service, the letter said. (One of the considered sites is at 78 Narragansett Ave. The Clarke/Ceppi building houses Mansions & Manors Real Estate. If accepted by the Postal Service, the house would be demolished for a new building.) The other site under consideration is the lot that the post office is currently on, plus the lot to its immediate west heading up Narragansett Avenue.

Return to top