Around the horn
• The North Kingstown High School baseball team lost the deciding game to Cranston West last week at McCoy Stadium in the RIIL Division I Championship, 18-7.
After winning the first game on June 5 of the best-of-three series, 5-3, the Skippers got off to a terrible start in game two the following night, falling behind 14-2 after three innings. In the top of the fourth inning, North Kingstown scored eight runs to get back into the game, but allowed three more runs en route to a 17-13 loss.
In the winner-take-all game three on June 7, the Skippers jumped out to a 6-1 lead, but the Falcons’ offense proved to be too much, thanks to two homeruns from Mike Hayden.
North Kingstown finished the season 22-6 (14-4).
• The North Kingstown High School junior varsity volleyball team recently won the state championship held at Rhode Island College. Islander Garrett Bucklin was named MVP of the tournament.
• The J-Class Regatta in Newport began Wednesday and will run through Sunday, June 19. Races will start each day at 1 p.m. and the J-Class Race Village at the Newport Shipyard will be open each during the races. The awards ceremony will be held at the shipyard on Sunday at 4 p.m. and is open to the public
Cox Communications announced that Cox Sports will air exclusive coverage of the regatta tonight through June 19 at 7 p.m. Also, Cox Sports will include a daily highlight show each night through June 20, which will feature highlights from the previous day of racing.
• Andre Agassi, winner of eight Grand Slam tournament titles and an Olympic gold medalist, will play an exhibition match at the International Tennis Hall of Fame in Newport on Sunday, July 10, at 10 a.m. following his induction into the Hall of Fame on July 9.
Also playing with Agassi will be former ATP World Tour star Todd Martin, who was a top-10 player on the Tour at the same time as Agassi. The two players faced off 18 times during their careers, with Agassi taking 13 wins. Additional players for the exhibition match will be announced shortly. Tickets are $35, $40 and $45.
• Team tryouts for the U-13 girls’ South County Youth Soccer Club will be held on Tuesday, June 21, from 6 to 8 p.m. at Tuckertown Park in Wakefield. To be eligible, girls must have born between Aug. 1, 1998, and July 31, 1999. Interested players should bring a soccer ball to the tryout.
• The 35th annual Save the Bay Swim is scheduled for Saturday, July 23. The fundraising swim is a 1.7-mile plunge from Newport to Jamestown. This year, 19 of the record-setting 475 registrations are islanders.
The Jamestown swimmers are Judy Beckman (17th year participating in the event), Lisa Brendlinger (second year), Stephanie Cotsonas (third year), Deb Foppert (third year), Carolyn Goodrich (first year), Wayne Grover (second year), Steve Heath (first year), Matt Hull (fourth year), Trice Kilroy (seventh year), Victor Lambert (third year), Jean Lambert (10th year), Anne Lane (12th year), John Murphy (first year), Dennis Nixon (12th year), Bruce Novis (eighth year), Steven Turilli (first year), Fred Uttley (second year), Onne van der Wal (fifth year) and Jackie Woodside (second year).
• The Jamestown Yacht Club held races for its Summer Series on June 14. The results were (boat’s name, boat’s type, skipper’s name):
Hidalgo, Mod Express 37, Rich Moody
Picante, J/109, R. Salk/J. Sahagian
Macx, C28, Bill MacGowan
Next Wave, Farr 395, Steve Clarke
Suerte, MD35, H. Little/B. Carroll
Floating Point, CTM Frers 40, Pat Clayton.
Epiphany, S2 9.1, Jeff Roy
Aurora, Tartan 41, Andrew Kallfelz
Lynx, J/29, Dennis Nixon
Luna, Albin Nova, Chris Brown and Samira Hakki
Evil Donut, Melges 24 ODR, JC Raby
Time Bandit, Metal Mast 30, Robert Fadden
Phantom, J/80, Victor Bell
Spirit, J/925, EC Helme
Footloose, Pearson Flyer, Andy Yates.
Bearly Muven, J/24, Michael Nahmias
Blues eRacer, J/22, Louis Mariorenzi
Skeleton Crew, J/24, Fauss Hull
Wharf Rat, J/22, Matt Dunbar
Nighthawk, J/24, Richard Barker
Fast Lane, J/24, Harry and Ann Lane
Eeyore, J/22, Martin Keen
OverwHelmed, Sonar, Sarah Skeels
Chaos, J/22, Lowell Thomas
Barfly, J/24, Rob Lambert
Chairman Arafat, P Electra, Rob Bestoso.
Duck Soup, C&C 37/40, Bill Clavin
Four Suns, Swan 41, Charles Beal
Summer Wind, Scampi II, T. Alyn and KJ Delamer
Urubamba, Sabre 28, Julio Di- Giando
Sonadora, Najad, Baines/Cook/ Gooding
Magic Roundabout, Jeanneau S0 35, Winston Knight
Island Time, Catalina 34, Michael Sharp.