The old Jamestown Bridge dissappears at last
A demolition company had been tasked with removing the western approach of the old bridge starting in November. At one time it was hoped that the remaining portion of the old bridge would have been turned into a public fishing pier. A dearth of state money and opposition from neighboring residents nixed that idea.
The old Jamestown Bridge, which was the first land link connecting Conanicut Island to the mainland, was opened in August 1940. Prior to that time the only way to reach Jamestown was by ferry.
The old bridge helped renew Jamestown as a summer vacation destination and as a residential community. By the late 1900s plans were made to replace the old bridge. The new Jamestown Bridge opened in October 1992.
A lack of state funding kept the old bridge standing until April 2006 when the center span was demolished in an explosive blast. In July 2011 demolishment of the old bridge was finally completed.
— Jeff McDonough