Dedication to be held at Beavertail Saturday
The Beavertail Lighthouse Museum Association will hold a dedication of its new signs and the opening of the oil storage building on Museum Day, Saturday, Sept. 24, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Beavertail State Park. Under a matching grant project provided by the Rhode Island Council for the Humanities, a new outdoor visitor information venue at the Beavertail Light Station has been completed. The project provides interpretive historical information previously not exhibited about the identification and uses of the various site buildings on the U.S. Coast Guard property. Each building and structure including the site’s historic 1749 first light tower stone foundation is now provided with illustrated historic information. While the BLMA operates a museum in one of the buildings during the summer months, at other times, docents are not available to describe the site’s historic features. These new signs now fill that void. In addition to the new building signs, two overlook storyboards of the destroyed 1938 Whale Rock lighthouse and a panorama information image of the Narragansett shore have been installed, plus a historic time line of events which took place at Beavertail over the past 260 years. Above, two Beavertail visitors look at one of the new interpretive signs.
Return to top