This Week In Island History
The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.
100 years ago
From the Newport Journal, March 29, 1912
[At the Town Council meeting,] Councilman Hull was authorized to have a new floor laid in the assembly room at Fire Station No. 1 and to have necessary work done to stop a leak in the tower on the Town Hall.
The weekly debate and smoker of the Fire department was held Monday evening in the Town Hall. The question of a college education as a benefit to the girls today was decided in the affirmative.
The Home and Foreign Missionary Society of the Central Baptist Church held its annual meeting. A retrospect of the history of the society showed it that it was organized in 1886.
75 years ago
From the Newport Daily News, March 26, 1937
Jamestown’s budget for the coming fiscal year will total $108,809.32, exclusive of revenues from the Jamestown & Newport Ferry Company. The total 1937 budget is $116,384.32
From the Newport Daily News, March 30, 1937
Permission having been secured from the Jamestown au- thorities for the installation of four large tanks, Harry R. Horgan has leased property on the easterly side of Conanicus Avenue to the Standard Oil Company for a gasoline filling station. The property there has been used for that purpose for a number of years by Alfred V. Richardson, who will operate the new plant. The gasoline station license follows a controversy of several months during which the Board of Review refused the permit for larger tanks underground. An appeal was taken to the Town Council, which has had the matter under study, pending final decision.
The old barn on Swinburne Street, recently purchased by M. James Vieira, is being moved to the North Main Road.
50 years ago From the Newport Daily News,
March 26, 1962
The Jamestown Bridge will be debt free by 1965 at the present rate of progress. The commission retired $50,000 in bridge bonds last year, leaving $426,000 outstanding. The [Jamestown] Bridge Commission is fighting a move by the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority to take over the bridge and the Mount Hope Bridge as part of its overall plan to construct a Newport Bay Bridge connecting Newport and Jamestown. From the Newport Daily News,
March 27, 1962
(At the Town Council meeting) victualer licenses for Hunt’s Drug Store, Jamestown Bowling Lanes, Garnett’s Sandwich Shop, Manny’s Tavern, Pitcher’s Inc., Surf Restaurant, Conanicut Yacht Club, Frances’ Diner, Narragansett Café, Carol’s Grill and The Islander were approved.
25 years ago From the Newport Daily News,
March 30, 1987
Jamestown golfers may be able to tee it up at the Jamestown Country Club this weekend if the weather cooperates and legal details can be worked out. [Joseph P.] Mistowski was awarded the lease with a bid of $30,000 annually. The council awarded the lease to the restaurant to Charles Carstens of Jamestown. Carstens, who operates the Curtain Call restaurant on Narragansett Avenue, will pay the town $35,000 annually to operate the restaurant.
15 years ago
From the Jamestown Press,
March 28, 1997
The Town Council’s closed session discussions that resulted in a decision to extend a municipal water line to nine lots outside the urban water district did not violate the state’s open meeting laws.
Golf course operator Joseph Mistowski will now be paying the town more than $80,000 a year [to rent the golf course].
10 years ago
From the Jamestown Press,
March 28, 2002
The authority that oversees the Newport Bridge quashed a request by Rep. Bruce Long of Middletown last week that sought to reduce the price of commuter bridge tokens for the toll bridge.
The town of Jamestown and the Conanicut Island Land Trust have announced that over 32 acres in the north end of the island have been protected in perpetuity.