Thomas Rosa, 28, of Beavertail Road, Jamestown, was charged Aug. 18 with first-offense DUI, refusal to submit to a chemical test, and first-offense possession of marijuana. According to police, Rosa was stopped for erratic operation of a motor vehicle. He was held at the police station where he arraigned by a justice of the peace. A re-arraignment was scheduled for Aug. 24 at 2nd Division District Court in Newport.
Breaking and entering
Edward Comerford, 35, of Green Lane, Jamestown, was charged Aug. 19 for domestic breaking and entering. According to police, officers responded to a call of an unwanted male at a residence. Comerford was allegedly at the house without consent. He was held at the police station.
• On Aug. 5, a BMX bike valued at $500 was stolen from a campsite at Fort Getty.
• On Aug. 6, a 21-speed black Jamis bike valued at $300 was stolen from a driveway on Green Lane. Later in the day the bike was found on Whittier Road and returned to the owner.
• On Aug. 8, a sliver Trek mountain bike valued at $500 was stolen from a garage on Baldwin Court.
• On Aug. 15, a leather American Eagle wallet containing $100 cash, an iPod Touch valued at $150, and a $250 check were stolen from a vehicle on Conanicus Avenue.
• On Aug. 16, police noticed that stones from the stone wall at Cedar Lane cemetery had been knocked down. Police are not sure when the vandalism occurred.
• On Aug. 19, police received a call that a tire had been slashed on Swinburne Street. Police say it appeared to have been slashed with a knife. No one has been charged.
• On Aug. 20, police received a call that someone had broken into the shed at Mackerel Cove and took the rescue kayak for a joy ride. The kayak was found stranded on the beach. Police say the door jam on the shed was pried open.