2012-09-20 / Front Page

Transformer blamed in cottage fire

East Shore Road lodge was vacant during Monday’s fire
BY JEFF MCDONOUGH


Volunteer firefighters on Monday battled a blaze that heavily damaged an East Shore Road waterfront cottage. 
PHOTO BY JEFF MCDONOUGH Volunteer firefighters on Monday battled a blaze that heavily damaged an East Shore Road waterfront cottage. PHOTO BY JEFF MCDONOUGH A malfunctioning electrical transformer is suspected as the cause of Monday morning’s fire that heavily damaged a waterfront cottage on East Shore Road.

Jamestown Fire Chief Jim Bryer said the department received the call at 6:53 a.m. on Sept. 17. The fire had apparently smoldered for some time before breaking out in flames, he said. No one was home at the time.

According to Bryer, the fire apparently started in an electrical transformer atop a utility pole along the road and “came back down the line” to the electrical meter socket on the house. The transformer was heavily damaged. Grass around the base of the utility pole also caught fire.

National Grid had reported problems on East Shore Road over the weekend, Bryer said.

Volunteer firefighters managed to quickly contain the blaze. The center room of the small cottage was mostly destroyed, and two side wings sustained heavy smoke and water damage.

The cottage was built in 1948 and is owned by William Dyer of 1006 East Shore Rd. It is separate from the main house on the property. The cottage was the second house fire of 2012 in Jamestown. A Spanker Street home was damaged by fire in March.

Return to top