Island happenings for a fun Halloween
Everyone gets in the Halloween spirit and this year there are plenty of island happenings to celebrate the season. Here’s a roundup of local events.
Jamestown Fitness will host its Halloween parade at 10 a.m. on Saturday, Oct. 27. All dogs and children are welcome. Costumes are encouraged.
Later that same day, the Conanicut Island Land Trust will hold its family-oriented Halloween at Godena Farm from 5:45 to 7:30 p.m. There’ll be refreshments, campfire and singing.
The 24th annual Jack-O’-Lantern Jog will start at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Oct. 28. Register at the rec center for the 5K road race. As always, there will be prizes for the best costumes.
As in year’s past, the Secret Garden will stay open late on Halloween to welcome trick or treaters.
The Jamestown Fire Department will again fill its parking lot with foam for trick or treaters. All island youths are invited to stop by for the bubbly treat.
Every year many trick or treaters make the rounds of Jamestown homes. Here are a few tips to make the event a good one:
• Youngsters should wear masks that do not block their vision. In addition, costumes should not inhibit walking. It is easy to trip in long, flowing robes.
• Young trick or treaters should always carry flashlights. Young ones should be accompanied by adults.
• Watch for traffic! Just because you can see vehicles does not mean that the drivers can see you.
• Only visit those homes with their front porch lights on. Travel in groups.
And a few tips for those welcoming Halloweeners:
• Turn on your front porch light.
• Make sure the walkway to your front door is clear and that there is nothing blocking the way on which someone might trip.
• Pets and trick or treaters do not mix. Keep your dogs away from the Halloweeners.