Restoration complete on original lighthouse foundation
Restoration work of the westfacing octagonal face on the original foundation of the Beavertail Lighthouse was completed Nov. 16. The foundation, designed and built by Colonial architect Peter Harrison in 1749, now has a reenforced concrete base pinned to the bedrock below.
The work was started on Oct. 9 by contractor David Lamontagne of Pascoag, and was stopped for brief periods because of Hurricane Sandy and the ensuing nor’easter. Sandy dislodged some stones, which created larger cavity voids in the weakened foundation. The storm also washed away the accumulation of stone collected for the restoration. This resulted in added costs for the project. Additionally, soil embankment erosion by Sandy’s easterly driven waves is evident around the foundation. The foundation was originally damaged by Hurricane Bob in 1991.
A new concrete cap is also planned, but will be deferred until next spring based on raising additional funds. Donations can be made to Beavertail Lighthouse Museum Association, P.O. Box 83, Jamestown, RI 02835.