This Week In Island History
The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.
100 years ago
From the Newport Journal, April 4, 1913
The Progressives made a clean sweep, in the election of town officers, of the six positions on the ticket for which they had many nominations. Not only did they win, but they had a margin from 19 to 69 votes, the largest by which the elections have been won in years. The voting lists contained 306 names, about 50 more than the average for the past five years. Of this number, 245 cast ballots.
The firemen’s whist tournament, the final round of which was played Thursday, was won by team No. 1, giving it the possession of the silver cup, which must be won three times to be retained.
75 years ago
From the Newport Daily News, April 1, 1938
At the Town Council meeting, George A. Barker Jr., who had been appointed to a committee to erect street signs in preparation for U.S. Postal route extensions, reported the same had been placed.
From the Newport Daily News, April 2, 1938
The Jamestown Post, American Legion Drum and Bugle Corps held a second rehearsal and business meeting at the Post home Thursday evening. There was a good attendance of members. Plans were discussed in relation to producing a show in the near future.
The Jamestown Post, Sons of the American Legion with 25 members, have also organized a drum and bugle corps, and according to A.V. Richardson, who is director, would welcome gifts of old drums and bugles. They are now practicing on the instruments of their fathers but would like to have their own.
A pole for surf bass fishing has been presented to the Rod and Gun Club, by a member of the club, as a prize for the largest bass caught during the coming season.
From the Newport Daily News, April 5, 1938
President Roosevelt today signed a bill authorizing Rhode Island, through the Jamestown Bridge Commission, to construct a toll bridge across the west passage of Narragansett Bay.
From the Newport Daily News, April 7, 1938
Jamestown Republicans, making their bid for return to office for the first time since 1936, succeeded in electing one of the five members to the Town Council. Interest in the sharply fought election was evidenced when 96 more cast their ballots than last year. A total of 809 out of 1,164 eligible voters cast their ballots, as against 713 out of 1,164 last year.
50 years ago
From the Newport Daily News, April 2, 1963
The annual “bargain” month for dog licenses in Jamestown is now underway in the town clerk’s office. All during April tags for male and spayed female dogs will be $1.30; females $5.30. In May the fees will rise to $2.30 and $6.30, so thrifty-minded dog owners are being urged to save a dollar.
No rock blasting at Fort Wetherill is planned for the immediate future. Letters have been received from Sen. John O. Pastore and Rep. Fernand J. St. Germain, both reporting on their protests to the Army Engineers in Waltham, Mass. The government has reserved the land since Jan. 15, 1953, for possible quarry use in connection with a lower bay hurricane barrier.
The Jamestown School Committee and Rhode Island College last night concluded an agreement whereby RIC student teachers will train at the Jamestown school. The committee approved the award of contracts to 14 teachers.
25 years ago
From the Newport Daily News, April 5, 1988
The Town Council wants a developer to pay for a costly groundwater study at the proposed site of a 26-unit cluster subdivision at the former Vieira Farm.
A state task force investigating problems with the new Jamestown Bridge wants the power to subpoena witnesses and grant them immunity from prosecution. The contractors, Clark-Fitzpatrick Inc. and Frank Foundation, claimed that flaws in the design caused the delays, and added expenses would more than double the cost of the bridge.
15 years ago
From the Jamestown Press, April 2, 1998
Some but not all town water customers will see some big increases in costs – up to 70 percent – when they get their water bills for the May, June and July billing quarter.
The proposal to develop a megaport at Quonset-Davisville may require blasting to dredge the Narragansett Bay shipping channel north of Jamestown.
10 years ago
From the Jamestown Press, April 3, 2003
A team of parents and teachers from the Jamestown schools spent the winter analyzing the standardized test results from the 2002 spring testing and gave a March 26 report to parents on their findings. The good news,” Kathy Sipala said, “is that both schools are high performing and improving overall with the only area that is not improving being math at the Lawn Avenue School.”
Enforceable noise ordinance yet to be drafted by Town Council: The town’s new draft ordinance already has been brought to the attention of the American Civil Liberties Union. The town bought a $2,000 decibel meter to measure noise and provided police officers with four hours of training in its use when an effective law is adopted. So far, the meter has been used to document noise levels, but not to pursue arrests.