This Week In Island History
The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.
100 years ago
From the Newport Journal, July 11, 1913
Mrs. L.W. Anthony entertained a piazza party at her home on the Fourth, the guests numbering about 24 neighbors. Refreshments were served in the afternoon and during the evening there was a good display of fireworks.
Southwest Avenue and Beavertail Road, from the Four Corners to the lighthouse at the point, are receiving a coating of oil.
Preparations are being made at Fort Wetherill for the arrival of the state militia for the tour of duty as coast artillery.
75 years ago
From the Newport Daily News, July 9, 1938
At the annual meeting and election of officers of the Conanicut Inland Boatmen held at its hall on Narragansett Avenue, officers were elected for the following year.
From the Newport Daily News, July 13, 1938
The Town Council at this week’s meeting voted to make an application to the pest mosquito control board at the state Department of Agriculture for a project for mosquito elimination and control.
From the Newport Daily News, July 14, 1938
The Town Council will receive, on July 18 at 8 o’clock in the town clerk’s office, sealed bids for the demolishment of all buildings situated on the east side of Conanicus Avenue, north of the old telegraph office to the extension of Narragansett Avenue.
YWCA Camp Seaside at Conanicut Park has opened for the season with 70 girls from Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York.
50 years ago
From the Newport Daily News, July 8, 1963
The Jamestown Ferry, running double service, had its busiest weekend of the year. It had arranged to keep running as long as there was a demand after the jazz festival. The last run was at 1:50 a.m. Sunday. Many jazz fans parked their cars in Jamestown and rode over as foot passengers on the ferry. This was done for two reasons. One was to save the $1.25 car fare each way. The other was the inability of find- ing parking spaces near Freebody Park without additional charge.
From the Newport Daily News, July 9, 1963
The Jamestown Town Council last night voted to continue the police Teletype system. Jamestown has used this system since 1958 at a cost to the state of around $700.
25 years ago
From the Newport Daily News, July 8, 1988
Jamestown Center, a new mixed-use development project, has been completed in Jamestown. The gambrel-style building features retail space of 3,375 square feet on the first floor occupied by Baker’s Pharmacy, 2,500 square feet of office space on the second, and two luxury residential units on the third floor.
From the Newport Daily News, July 9, 1988
Jamestown School officials will hold off on completing bid solicitation for an addition on the island’s school until an archeological dig determines the extent of an Indian cemetery behind the school.
15 years ago
From the Jamestown Press, July 9, 1998
There’s a new face behind the counter at Town Hall – Arlene Kalooski – Jamestown’s new town clerk.
After about two months as acting town administrator this past winter, Maryanne Crawford realized she really liked the job. Crawford had been Jamestown’s finance director for almost five years.
10 years ago
From the Jamestown Press, July 10, 2003
On March 21, the Town Council will hold a public hearing on the proposed new Harbor Management Ordinance. State law requires that the document be updated every five years, and with the current ordinance being approved by the council in August of 1988, it is time for the council to approve the revamped law that the Harbor Management Commission has spent the better part of three years revising.