Boat with local ties finishes third in Transpac
Bodacious IV finished third out of nine boats in its division at the 2013 Transpacific Yacht Race. The 2,225-mautical-mile course began off Point Fermin near Los Angeles and ended off Diamond Head Lighthouse in Honolulu. Bodacious IV, a Santa Cruz 52 owned by islander Jeff Urbina, finished behind fellow American boats Horizon and Medusa. Chris Pike, a Jamestown resident, was a crewmember aboard Bodacious IV. He was one of two watch captains. It took the boat and crew 10 days, 18 hours and a few minutes to cross the finish line.
Transpac, Division 6:
1. Horizon, Santa Cruz 50, Jack Taylor, Dana Point, Calif.;
2. Medusa, Santa Cruz 52, Jay Spalding, Carrollton, Texas;
3. Bodacious IV, Santa Cruz 52, Jeff Urbina, Chicago, Ill.;
4. Prevail, Santa Cruz 52, Bill Guilfoyle, Santa Barbara, Calif.;
5. Deception, Santa Cruz 50, William Helvestine, Larkspur, Calif.;
6. J World’s Hula Girl, Santa Cruz 50 Mod, Wayne Zittel , Oakland, Calif.;
7. Relentless, Santa Cruz 52, Dan Woodworth, Chicago, Ill.;
8. Lucky Duck, Santa Cruz 52, Dave MacEwen, Los Altos, Calif.;
9. Chasch Mer, Santa Cruz 50, Gib Black, Kaneohe, Hawaii.