2013-08-08 / Island History

This Week In Island History

Week of August 8
Compiled by Sue Maden

The news of 10 and 15 years ago is from the Jamestown Press. The news of 100 years ago came from the collection of the Newport Historical Society.

100 years ago

From the Newport Journal, Aug. 8, 1913

The number of visitors on the island Sunday was the largest of the season. The travel between Newport and Narragansett was also large and the ferries did the largest business of the summer.

From the Newport Daily News, Aug. 11, 1913

When the whistle of the Conanicut tooted at 1 o’clock Saturday, about 200 persons were off to the much heralded Jamestown land sale. When the boat landed, the band hurried off and formed at the head of the crowd as it poured off. Finally the procession reached the show grounds, where a big white tent stood waiting for the performance. When the band ceased to play and the people seated themselves, the auctioneer mounted a stepladder. He said the bids would be so much per foot. At the close, every lot had been taken, but it is doubtful whether the desired $50,000 was realized. The land went cheap, on an average of two and a half cents a foot. (Note: The land sold at auction contained 22 acres. It was located between Shoreby Hill and the golf course. It was referred to as the Western Bryer plat.)

75 years ago

From the Newport Daily News, Aug. 5, 1938

At a meeting of the Jamestown Board of Trade held at the Bayview Hotel, there was an attendance of 158, the majority of which was composed of summer residents. The speakers congratulated Jamestown as the first city or town to start a comprehensive waterfront improvement to include a pier to make a protected anchorage for small craft.

50 years ago

From the Newport Daily News, Aug. 5, 1963

Telephone company employees worked today to restore full service to Jamestown from Newport after a 300-foot length of submarine cable off Fort Wetherill was severed at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, probably by a fishing trawler.

From the Newport Daily News, Aug. 8, 1963

Mrs. Barbara Luther, a former Jamestown woman, is the author of the story “Moon Walk,” which has been made into the movie, “A Ticklish Affair,” now being shown at the Majestic Theater in Providence.

25 years ago

From the Newport Daily News, Aug. 3, 1988

There were 110 swimmers who participated in the Save the Bay swim. From the Newport Daily News,

Aug. 10, 1988

About 30 voters Tuesday night approved spending $835,000 for improvements to the town water system. The approval means construction will begin this fall on a new $165,000 chemical treatment facility at South Pond, the town’s backup reservoir. The facility will treat water from the main reservoir, North Pond and South Pond. The second part of the project will be $650,000 in improvements to the town’s water plant on North Road. (Note: Use of the other $20,000 was not explained in the article.) Voters also approved spending $30,000 for the School Department to buy a minibus for handicapped students.

15 years ago

From the Jamestown Press,

Aug. 6, 1998

The Town Council wants the state Department of Environmental Management to scale down the size of the fisheries laboratory it proposes to build next to the boat basin at Fort Wetherill State Park.

Town Planner Lisa Bryer has just reported to the Planning Commission that 33 percent of the community surveys sent out to Jamestown homes this spring were returned. The 11-page, 57-question survey covered 12 topic areas reflecting sections in the Jamestown Comprehensive Community Plan. Such topics included water resources, recreation, public services and facilities, and so on.

10 years ago

From the Jamestown Press,

Aug. 7, 2003

Earlier this week the Jamestown Fire Department responded to an emergency call on Whittier Road in Shoreby Hill. Because of a chain blocking traffic on that road, the town’s first responders had to take a circuitous route to an elderly woman’s home, where she was temporarily incapacitated.

(Photo caption) Members of the Central Baptist Church broke ground Aug. 3 for a new addition to the south side of the church, which was built n 1891.

Return to top