Two men injured in head-on collision
A 75-year-old man was listed in critical condition following a head-on collision last week on the Newport Bridge.
According to police, Elija Swift, of Exeter, was driving east across the span when his pickup truck veered into the westbound lane and collided with a car being operated by William Oberg. Oberg, a 25-year-old from Warwick, was also seriously injured. Both were transported to Rhode Island Hospital following the accident.
The collision took place shorty after 3 p.m. on Dec. 24, less than a week after a preliminary report was released to the state’s bridge authority that said the span could support a median barrier.
The issue of a median barrier on the Newport Bridge has been making headlines since an October 2011 accident resulted in two deaths, including a Jamestown resident. The victim’s brother, David Prior, recently sued the bridge authority for unlawful death. He has been trying to expedite the installation of a median barrier. David Darlington, chairman of the bridge authority, has said that complex engineering studies must be completed before any decisions can be made.