2014-02-13 / Front Page

Marcello Drive home damaged in fire

State fire marshal: Blaze was accidental electrical
By Tim Riel


Flames tear through a second-floor bedroom at 9 Marcello Drive Saturday after an electrical malfunction caused the fire. 
Photo by Jim Smith Flames tear through a second-floor bedroom at 9 Marcello Drive Saturday after an electrical malfunction caused the fire. Photo by Jim Smith It took firefighters a little more than 30 minutes to extinguish a second-floor blaze that tore through a bedroom at 9 Marcello Drive late Saturday afternoon.

Six fire trucks and about 20 firefighters were dispatched to the single-family home at around 5:15 p.m. Fire Chief Jim Bryer said workers were able to prevent the fire from spreading into other sections of the house, and while the home isn’t currently habitable, only the northwest corner was destroyed.

The fire ripped through the roof of the rear section and flames rose more than 10 feet above the structure. Bryer said there is smoke and water damage, and salvage tarps were put on furniture on the first floor to prevent further damage.

Nobody was injured in the blaze.

“The guys did a great job to knock the fire down pretty quick,” said Bryer. “They were able to contain it and prevent further damage.”

Tankers trucks from the Middletown and Exeter fire departments were put on notice, but Bryer said they weren’t needed. Jamestown firefighters were back at the station by 7:45 p.m.

State investigators were on the scene Sunday gathering evidence. According to the Rhode Island fire marshal’s office, the cause of the fire was electrical. It was ruled accidental.

The home, located on the east shore of the island just north of Potter Cove, is owned by James and Caroline Caswell. It was appraised in 2012 at $460,600. The Caswells suspended service to their landline and could not be reached for comment.



Left, flames rise above the roof at 9 Marcello Drive late Saturday afternoon. Above, Jamestown firefighter Ken Gladding rushes to the scene with a hose. Below, the home in the aftermath. 
Photos by Jim Smith Left, flames rise above the roof at 9 Marcello Drive late Saturday afternoon. Above, Jamestown firefighter Ken Gladding rushes to the scene with a hose. Below, the home in the aftermath. Photos by Jim Smith

Photo by Andrea von Hohenleiten Photo by Andrea von Hohenleiten

Return to top