Local organizations offer scholarships to graduating seniors
• Applications for the Leigha Carlisle Scholarship are available at the North Kingstown High School guidance office. Leigha’s father, Clayton, established the scholarship in her memory and it has provided many Jamestowners with college funding. To be eligible, applicants must be graduating Jamestown residents who plan to attend college in the fall. Completed applications should be dropped off at Lawn School by April 11.
• The Jamestown Women’s Club is now accepting applications for two $1,000 scholarships. These are one-time awards for expenses associated with a student’s first year at school. Applicants must be Jamestown residents and graduating seniors who are planning to further their education. Scholarship forms are available at the Jamestown Philomenian Library. Completed applications should be sent to the Jamestown Women’s Club, P.O. Box 412, Jamestown, RI 02835. Deadline is May 9.
• The Jamestown Community Theatre will present its annual Patti Vandal Award for up to $2,000 to one or more graduating seniors for their achievement in theater and performing arts. The gifts will be based on a 500-word essay that describes the involvement of the student in the performing arts. Along with the essay, two letters of reference from arts-related educators or directors should be submitted. Applicants must be Jamestown residents. Applications should be sent send to Mary Wright, P.O. Box 432, Jamestown, RI 02835. For more information, call 741-9818. Deadline is April 22.
• Applications are now available for the Elizabeth Stone Fund Scholarship, a one-time award for expenses associated with a student’s freshman year. The fund was formed with a bequest from the estate of Jamestowner Elizabeth Stone for the purpose of establishing a scholarship for deserving high-school graduates. As many as four scholarships of $1,000 or more may be awarded. To be eligible, applicants must be Jamestown residents who have been accepted to an accredited four-year institution of higher learning. Applications are available at Lawn, Melrose and North Kingstown High schools, or online at JamestownRI. com/school. Deadline is May 15.
• Seamen’s Church Institute of Newport will accept applications for the Hayward Maritime Memorial Scholarship. The award is applicable for Newport County residents admitted to an accredited educational program with a focus on preparing for seafaring occupations. The application can be found on SeamensNewport.org. Deadline is May 1.
• Applications are now being accepted for the eighth annual Jamestown Community Chorus music award, a $500 grant to further a recipient’s musical education. Applicants must be at least 12 years old and active in the Jamestown music community. Adults are encouraged to apply. Candidates must submit an essay that includes their musical background, how they plan to use the award, and how the award will further their musical interests. Application details are available at JamestownChorus.com. Call Ann Gillespie at 835-1829 with any questions. Deadline is April 11.