2016-10-06 / Island History

ISLAND HISTORY

The state has transferred 8 acres of land to the town of Jamestown for a municipal ball field on Eldred Avenue, reported The Jamestown Press Oct. 6, 1994.

The deed stipulates once the field is built, it cannot be used at night. Also, no permanent structures can be erected and the field has to be surrounded by a buffer of trees.

A recent archaeological survey of the site, which is former federal land, found no Narragansett Indian remains or artifacts.

100 year ago — Oct. 10, 1916 (Newport Daily News)

Central Baptist Church’s Sunday morning service was a “rally day” geared toward children and their parents.

The pastor’s plan is to tell a story every week in order to encourage the attendance of children. The sermon also included a plea for the parents to teach their kids responsibility to the church, as well as their duty to their homes and schools.

75 years ago — Oct. 10, 1941 (Newport Mercury)

Jamestowner Samuel W. Smith Jr., a landscape engineer and former chief of roadside development, has been named administrator of the state’s forestry division. The policy-making post pays an annual salary of $4,000.

50 years ago — Oct. 6, 1966 (Newport Daily News)

Two Rhode Islanders running for office will speak at the Republican headquarters in Jamestown.

The town Republican committee will host Ruth Briggs, a colonel in the Women’s Army Corps, who is opposing Claiborne Pell, as well as Macy Webster, a North Kingstown building contractor running for state representative.

25 years ago — Oct. 10, 1991 (The Jamestown Press)

The Jamestown Town Council in an emergency session voted to present state traffic officials with an alternate blueprint for the proposed connector highway.

The council is calling for a narrower four-lane road with lower speed limits than the proposed 100-foot-wide highway. The town also wants work to begin at the foot of the Newport Bridge and advance west. The plan currently calls for work to commence on the western end.

Finally, the councilors are asking the state to reduce the proposed 30-foot median and use wooden guardrails instead of Jersey barriers.

10 years ago — Oct. 12, 2006 (The Jamestown Press)

Richard Shutt, who has lived in the caretaker’s apartment at Beavertail Lighthouse for 25 years, refuses to vacate the building.

Town Administrator Bruce Keiser said Shutt’s rent-free lease expired in April. The town, however, gave him four months to find alternate housing. Following the extended deadline, Shutt refused to leave and filed suit in Newport District Court.

The U.S. Coast Guard owns the lighthouse but leases it to the town. According to Keiser, the agreement gives the town management authority. Although the apartment has been historically free for the caretaker, the Jamestown Town Council last year changed the policy.

Return to top