2017-07-13 / Island Calendar

ISLAND HISTORY

An automated system with a computer voice euphemistically known as “Perfect Paul” will start notifying library patrons via telephone of their overdue books, The Jamestown Press reported July 13, 2000.

Paul is capable of communicating with answering machines and humans. He sometimes pronounces names strangely, but if given the correct pronunciation, he will remember it for future calls.

100 years ago — July 13, 1917 (Newport Daily News)

The Lucretis C. Greene Guild at Central Baptist Church hosted its inaugural exhibition of sewing, cooking and first aid.

The guild, which began a year ago, offered five classes for boys and girls. Each session included an hour of industrial work and an hour of recreation. About 150 children registered for the free classes, which were open to everyone regardless of their religion.

75 years ago — July 17, 1942 (Newport Mercury)

Bolts of lighting caused damage throughout Newport County during a severe electrical storm that dropped nearly a half-inch of rain in 45 minutes.

Stonewall Cottage on East Shore Road was hit by lighting while power was lost in Conanicut Park. Another bolt struck a cow that was standing under a tree in a pasture. The animal, owned by Joseph Raposs, was killed.

50 years ago — July 19, 1967 (Newport Daily News)

An 18-year-old Coventry man jumped from a ferry as it pulled into its slip at East Ferry, copying a fad that has surfaced this summer among teenagers.

The captain signaled police by blasting the whistle four times while deckhand Paul Robertson nabbed the jumper near memorial circle at the foot of Narragansett Avenue. The Coventry man was charged with disorderly conduct and jailed overnight.

The incident happened a week after nine Middletown boys jumped from the ferry as it departed Newport. The boys swam to The Mooring and were arrested.

25 years ago — July 16, 1992 (The Jamestown Press)

An estimated 100,000 visitors are expected to flock to the shores of Aquidneck and Conanicut islands to watch a fleet of 24 tall ships sail Narragansett Bay.

Because of the major impact expected from traffic, police are closing Dumplings Road, Racquet Road, Newport Street, Highland Drive, Beavertail Road and the boat ramps at Fort Wetherill and East Ferry. When the parade ends, state police are expected to block driveways and roads linked to East Shore Road and Eldred Avenue.

Along with seven town patrolmen, six state troopers and 12 park rangers, there will be 15 National Guardsmen stationed in town. The green at Shoreby Hill will be used as an as an emergency landing site for helicopters.

10 years ago — July 19, 2007 (The Jamestown Press)

The school committee unanimously appointed Marcia Lukon as the new superintendent. She will replace Robert Power, whose one-year appointment cannot be renewed because of state retirement laws.

Lukon is the recently retired superintendent of the Berlin- Boylston district in Massachusetts. Prior to that post, she was superintendent in Norfolk, Mass. and has experience as a curriculum director, principal and classroom teacher.

Return to top