2017-09-07 / Island History

ISLAND HISTORY

Staff has been doubled at the Newport Pell Bridge toll plaza and 24-hour surveillance is underway on both bridges connecting the island, The Jamestown Press reported on Sept. 13, 2001.

Ken Bianchi, director of the Rhode Island Turnpike of Bridge Authority, is being cautious following the attacks on New York City and the Pentagon by hijacked jetliners. Also, the Navy base in Newport was shut down and is operating under Delta, the U.S. military’s highest threat conditions.

100 years ago — Sept 12, 1917 (Newport Daily News)

The Rev. James Riley arranged the final social of the summer for Fort Wetherill soldiers at St. Mark’s guild house, which was enjoyed by a capacity crowd.

The event began with a minstrel show by the enlisted men filled with songs and jokes. Following the entertainment, sandwiches, coffee, cake, candy, cigars and cigarettes were served on the lawn.

75 years ago — Sept. 11, 1942 (Newport Mercury)

The Carr and Clarke schools opened with a combined enrollment of 297 students, which is two fewer children than last academic year. Fourteen students were absent on their first day.

50 years ago — Sept. 7, 1967 (Newport Daily News)

Of the two types of heating systems presented to the school board, the members elected to purchase the more economical convector system, which was nearly $20,000 cheaper than the ventilating system.

Installing convector heat, which is hot water with the circulation of air, is estimated to cost about $56,700. Andrew W. Brown Jr., president of the town council, applauded the board for making a wise decision not to overspend on the elaborate $77,400 system.

25 years ago — Sept. 11, 1992 (The Jamestown Press)

Seven boats moored off East Ferry were burglarized during Labor Day weekend while a 12-foot aluminum skiff that was chained down was stolen from the beach. In five cases, padlocks were cut.

Among the items missing from the moored boats were a television, VHF radios, speakers, jackets, binoculars and tackle boxes. The skiff was valued at $500.

10 years ago — Sept. 13, 2007 (The Jamestown Press)

The Conanicut Marine Services’ ferryboat Katherine collided with a 23-foot boat north of Goat Island, resulting in three injuries, including two children.

Although an investigation is pending, the Coast Guard report says that the recreational vessel rammed into the bow of Katherine, a 42-foot charter boat. Nobody was hurt on the ferryboat.

Return to top