2017-10-19 / Island History


Bert Parker has deeded 48 acres to the Conanicut Island Land Trust to protect as open space, The Jamestown Press reported Oct. 19, 2000.

The property runs from East Shore Road to North Main Road and abuts 38 acres of town-owned land to the south. To the north is the transfer station. Most of the land encompasses the former Viera farm.

This is the second major acquisition in 2000 by the land trust, which also purchased 9 acres at the north end of the North Pond reservoir to protect the water supply.

100 years ago — Oct. 25, 1917 (Newport Daily News)

A storm blew a lobsterman out to sea on the west shore of Beavertail.

Nicholas Petritus boarded his skiff to place another anchor from his catboat when the storm forced his vessel farther from shore. He was found unconscious later in the day off Narragansett Pier.

75 years ago — Oct. 23, 1942 (Newport Daily News)

The Jamestown War Price and Rationing Board voted 4-1 to grant Manuel Godena two obsolete car tires and tubes for his North Road farm.

50 years ago — Oct. 21, 1967 (Newport Daily News)

The Jamestown Bridge Commission lowered the fare to 25 cents for the Jamestown Bridge and added an extra ticket to the $1.50 ticket book.

The commission also voted to abolish the $4.50 booklet, which had no time limit on crossings. The commission said there has been a steady increase in traffic to and from North Kingstown on the bridge.

25 years ago — Oct. 22, 1992 (The Jamestown Press)

Riding in a red 1967 Chevy Impala driven by a state trooper, Gov. Bruce Sundlun broke the red ribbon at 10:56 a.m. on the Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge, officially opening the span to traffic.

More than 40,000 Rhode Islanders visited the bridge to see what their tax dollars had built. The bridge’s construction spanned 4.5 million hours by 450 workers following 750,000 hours of designing and engineering.

10 years ago — Oct. 25, 2007 (The Jamestown Press)

More than 300 complimentary guests from Jamestown were invited to the premiere of “Dan in Real Life,” the Steve Carell film that included scenes from Riven Rock and East Ferry.

Town Administrator Bruce Keiser was “given a handful of tickets” and used the schools, police department and chamber of commerce to distribute them.

The film is about a widower who finds out the woman he fell in love with is his brother’s girlfriend.

Return to top