2018-04-26 / About Town

Quaker meetinghouse set to open for season

Quaker worship services will be offered at 10:30 a.m. every Sunday from May 5 through Columbus Day at the Conanicut Friends Meetinghouse on the corner of North Road and Weeden Lane.

A Quaker service is a period of quiet meditation with no minister. It begins when everyone is settled and ends when an assigned worshiper shakes hands with a neighbor. Others then do the same. Services typically last 45 minutes. Everyone is welcome regardless of religion, race or gender.

The meetinghouse is just south of the windmill. It was built in 1786 to replace the original church that was destroyed by the British after they occupied the island during the American Revolution. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. There is no indoor plumbing.

Return to top