2018-05-17 / Island History

ISLAND HISTORY

Construction of a school on Melrose Avenue has been approved by the Rhode Island Preservation & Historical Preservation Commission, The Jamestown Press reported May 17, 1990.

The building, which will serve students in kindergarten through fourth grade, will have offices, 24 classrooms and a multipurpose room that doubles as a gym and cafeteria. The original plan to build an annex onto the Lawn Avenue building would have encroached on one of the largest Indian burial grounds in New England. The new site, across from the athletic fields, contains no remains or artifacts.

100 years ago — May 17, 1918 (Newport Mercury)

The federal government conducted a sea trial of the ferryboat Narragansett from its slip at the U.S. Naval Torpedo Station on Gould Island. The feds are considering purchasing the boat from the Jamestown & Newport Ferry Company to replace the ferryboat Wave, which has fallen into disrepair.

75 years ago — May 21, 1943 (Newport Mercury)

The Rogers High School freshman journal, the Cub Chronicle, has published a special edition about Jamestown, featuring students and events from Newport’s neighboring community.

Along with a poem, a humorous article titled “How Jamestown accumulated,” and a history of the settlement’s founding, editor in-chief Josiah Sacks wrote an editorial in which he expressed sympathy for the family of classmate Charles E. Eddy Jr., a student from Jamestown who died this academic year. The issue also published Eddy’s final literary piece, which he wrote for English class, about a Chinese family that received charity from a group Eddy named the Flying Tigers.

50 years ago — May 18, 1968 (Newport Daily News)

Completion of the Newport Bridge will be delayed until next year, according to Francis Dwyer, chairman of the Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority. According to Dwyer, the cable erection took almost twice as long because the system “literally had a few kinks in it.”

25 years ago — May 20, 1993 (The Jamestown Press)

Construction on the road connecting the Jamestown and Newport bridges has begun, which has prompted assurances that wells in the area will be protected during the project.

Ed Parker, design chief at the state Department of Transportation, said his agency will test wells in the highway corridor to make sure they remain functional. The state also will build a retaining pond near Hull Street as a contingency.

10 years ago — May 22, 2008 (The Jamestown Press)

The debris from the old Jamestown Bridge has been used to construct two artificial reefs in Rhode Island sound.

According to the state Department of Environmental Management, 12,000 cubic yards of concrete and rebar from the demolition now lies in 65 feet of water south offshore from the Newport Cliff Walk near Sheep’s Point. The other 12,000 cubic yards are in 85 feet of water just west of Gooseberry Island.

The steel from the bridge was recycled.

Return to top